Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my wife got tired of hearing me complain about some of the guns I've sold in the past (hard times from job loss)....including a Marlin 44 mag....she came out and told me to buy one for a combination B-day/Christmas gift!! (got to love her!!)

We looked at several guns...but we both wanted a blue reciever (sorry Henry).....20 inch octagon barrel in 44 mag.

I set my heart on a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 44 mag and started searching. They seem to be few and far between and they are approaching $1000.00 real quickly! Been looking for over a month!

Well I came home from work early Monday and started my daily search of several gun sights andf there she was....an 1894 Cowboy Limited, 20' octagon in 44 mag....for less than $750.00 and it had only been listed for 2 hours. I called the guy and gave him a CC number and she arrived today! Lovely gun with the JM proofmarks. Original box, safety lock, hammer extension still in the bag, owners manual...practically like new. You can tell it has been fired some and in about 30 minutes when she gets home it is going to be fired some more!!

My only question.....what bullets shoot the best? The manual says not to use Blazer. I'd like to find a good reliable cheap "plunking" bullet, and then a great self defense bullet. What brand/weight bullets are y'all using the most?

So now I've got the fever for the lever guns again....time to sell a few older guns and start searching for the next one!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Congrats on finding a great rifle at a great price. I can't help much with recommending factory loads as I load my own. I slugged the barrel of my 1894 and found it on the big side so I am using .431 diameter cast bullets from Oregon Trail.

Note that shooting 44 specials and then using 44 mags without a thorough cleaning before hand can lead to some interesting challenges. I had a magnum stick in the chamber at home where (and when) it would have been imprudent to fire the round. So there I sat with a live round stuck in the chamber.... :s: Lessons learned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice. Sportsmansguide has free shipping today only...so I'm gonna order a box or two of the Winchesters.

·
Registered
19,748 Posts
Congrats on your new rifle...let us know how she shoots and post some pics if you get a chance!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
CONGRATS ON THAT NEW 44 FAR AS FACTORY LOADS MINE SEEMS TO LIKE THE WINCHESTER 240 JACKETED SOFT POINT.may want to try a few others to find out what what yours likes and thats the fun part good luck with er.:tee:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Enjoy your rifle in good health for a long time.

DD

·
Registered
701 Posts
Enjoy your rifle. I've had at least one for the past 40 years...16.5 and 20 inch round; 20 and 24 inch octagon....and they are all good.

Save your brass. If you buy cast bullets, you can load under 15 cents a round; cast your own and it's under a dime!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts