Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When mounting a scope base, how do you protect the rifle from marring? Physics requires that there be a tiny amount of freedom for movement of the connected parts. Firing the rifle causes sudden, extreme acceleration and the scope base might rub the finish of the receiver top. Solution?

PS: I believe in wearing a belt and suspenders to be sure my pants don't fall off :biggrin:

·
Registered
21,079 Posts
Your base and rings should be tight (but not too tight) with NO "amount of freedom", or your sight will be off! Add a drop of blue loctite on the threads to help prevent screws for loosenin' up and the base from movin'. Be carefule with your screwdriver and you won't have any problems with the finish either!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've never had a problem with the scope base marking the rifle. Just make sure you use blue Loctite and keep the screws tight.

·
Registered
14,889 Posts
Borrow the wife or girlfriend's clear nail polish, use on screw threads on bases and rings. I have used this method for over 50 years, and never had a problem.
Warning if you use your girlfriends polish don't let your wife find out.:shot:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a thin, Teflon sheet that might be interposed between base and receiver? I get the securing of the screws. I'm more worried about marring the receiver in the mounting process. It's easy to say "be careful", but guarantees eliminate risk. Maybe a thin layer of Cling Wrap (Saran Wrap) might do the trick.......

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there B-barry -- Might be a great way to trap moisture and create rust too. I've seen a lot of rust under tang sights from folks using shims instead of fitting the sight to the tang. Good luck. Best regards. Wind

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.