Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came accross a 1891 Marlin 22 side load model in partially restored condition. Still needs lots of hand work. Info I find shows blued or Case color available. I was planning on case coloring the reciever but which parts are to be blued? From pictures I can tell the barrel, trigger, & tube are blue but what about the hammer,forearm holder, slide, pins & screws.
also what type of blueing is proper. included is new wood, old wood is very , very rough & not original (no numbers on it) also what is the proper finish for the new wood.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
The proper finish is rust bluing. The hammer, trigger, lever, are case colored. Some had case colored receivers on special order, but of course the screws and loading gate were blued. Be very careful in casehardening a small frame Marlin! They can easily warp, so make sure whoever does it has done some before! A 1891 sideloader is irreplaceable almost, and would be a terrible loss! If there is any question, I would stay with a cased receiver for safety's sake. If there's any doubt about whether the gunsmith can get a "marlin" case color I would also stay with rust blue. An un-natural color will be a dead giveaway of a refinished gun.
As for the wood, Marlin used a hand rubbed oil finish, but in order to cut time they first dipped them in varnish, and wiped them dry. After drying, they then were hand rubbed with linseed oil to a fairly high luster.
You can duplicate this finish with linseed oil, or Permalyn Sealer.
Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts