Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how did you cut it open? you are not responsible for what ever is written.

currently i have a grill tank with the valve removed and sitting outside upside down. i will fill it with water shortly and let sit. what would be an appropriate method for opening this thing. i have a die grinder, elec grinder, skill saw and sawzall.

ive seen some people have done it so any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Hmm never thought of cutting one for a lead pot ! Im going to watch this post !

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
After the soak, drain the water. Start the car. Run a section of garden hose from the exhaust to the tank inlet. Let the tank fill with the exhaust gases and cut with the Sawzall using a fine tooth metal blade. IMO, you cannot be too careful when cutting a propane tank.

I've seen a couple that were cut with "ears" left on to attach a wire bail. Seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about cutting it with an air cut off tool while its full of water. No airspace no risk of fire in theory

·
Registered
309 Posts
I used a sawzall.I don't know how all cylinders are made but the one I cut (30 lb) the top half fit down in the bottom and then was welded I didn't know that and sawed it just above the weld. It was a lot harder sawing it the second time to get the lip off. If I was sawing another one I'd do it a inch or so lower than the weld if you stay any closer you'll be cutting a double thickness of metal.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wild willy said:
I used a sawzall.I don't know how all cylinders are made but the one I cut (30 lb) the top half fit down in the bottom and then was welded I didn't know that and sawed it just above the weld. It was a lot harder sawing it the second time to get the lip off. If I was sawing another one I'd do it a inch or so lower than the weld if you stay any closer you'll be cutting a double thickness of metal.
How did you prep the tank for the cut?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
mebe007 said:
What about cutting it with an air cut off tool while its full of water. No airspace no risk of fire in theory
It's going to be tough to keep it full of water after you cut a hole in the side...

·
Registered
309 Posts
I left it full of water a couple days.Then blew it out with an air hose with a piece of tubing on so it went to the bottom of the tank

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I picked mine up free fer nuthin' at my propane dealer. I don't know how long it was laying around with the valve removed but I filled it with water and let it sit in the summer sun for about a week before dumping it out. I made the cut with a metal blade on my jig saw. I used the weld as a guide and it went a lot faster than I thought it would.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok well i got my tank cut today. valve has been off since mon and its been filled with water 2 or 3 times. cut right through it about an inch above the weld with my sawzall with a brand new Irwin thick metal blade

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so what I did was cut notches in the small ring so it actually locks into my turkey fryer. I also welded some braces on the bottom of my fryer. It will hold my 230lb self even jumping so it should hold plenty of alloy. I have to fill my tank but I checked it with some s
Range lead and mmmm alloy is pretty. Once I get some tools ill do a full scale smelt

·
Registered
882 Posts
Looks good!
I might suggest welding a handle on each side of the pot to make it easier to move.
M.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
I would definitely do as 80HP suggested and put some kind of handle on it. There will come a time that you will want to move the pot and it would be hard to do without a handle. ;)

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
That is a great idea. WishI had seen it before I went to the camping store and bought a 3 litre cast cooking pot.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
I bought an old cast iron pot at a garage sale that I use to smelt lead in and I like it a lot because it is heavy and holds the heat. I also have the lid for it.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
janott said:
I bought an old cast iron pot at a garage sale that I use to smelt lead in and I like it a lot because it is heavy and holds the heat. I also have the lid for it.
+1
The lid helps ;)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rowdy said:
+1
The lid helps ;)
I use to top that I cut off the propane tank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts