Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those with 38-55 lever that shoot Big Bore Silhouette.

Today I tried a new cast bullet and load for Big Bore Silhouette. I only had 30 empty cases to load up the new combo in to take to the match, 10 for sighting and 20 for the match. The rest of the match was with my old 300 fps slower load with a 250 gr using 10.3 gr of Unique.

Marlin 336CB 38-55, 210 gr Accurate bullet, 96-2-2 alloy, shot as cast .380 mold, Win large pistol primers, 21.0 gr H-4198, and taper crimp. est 1,650-1,700 fps.

Through the Chickens and Pigs 19, out of 20 hits! The lighter bullet moving faster with less recoil really helped my score.

I did have a few sighting rounds left over and after the match found the Turkey and Ram sight settings. Next month, the full course with this load.

We have a California State Regional Match scheduled for March at our Club, Los Angeles Silhouette, where I look forward to using the new load combo.

The match is open to all, any silhouette shooters in the area during the three day match are welcome.

38-210E.png

PS: Took first in the AAA Class Big Bore Lever Silhouette at the regional match with this load!

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun. I wish I were closer to your range. (I've no desire to live in CA.)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What lube did you use?
I mix my own and pan lube everything.

Coconut oil, bees wax, and Lee ALOX. I will add a little bees wax in the summer to firm up and a small amount of coconut oil in the winter to soften.

I use the same on all cast bullets from 80 gr 25-20 to 535gr 45-100 BPCR. It works for a 2,100 fps 30-06 GC 210 gr loads. The BPCR lube is the softer mix with a little more oil. I am lead fee at 1,700 fps in my 28-30 with 25-1 alloy.

Bulk Apothecary is a good on line source for supplies. If you shoot in a hot climate get the 92 degree coconut oil. The lower melt point will be too soft for high temp areas.

By weight: 60% bees wax - 35% coconut oil - and the rest Lee ALOX. You can skip the ALOX and use 40% coconut oil. I just have a good supply from purchasing Lee Size Kits. If too soft for you, add more bees wax to firm up.

I melt in a microwave to 160 degrees and let cool to 150 degrees then pour.

The hard lube you get on retail bullets is only used to stay in good shape through shipping. You will find accuracy will improve with softer lube.

Reactions: 1Merlin and GTS

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How has this bullet worked out for you at the longer distances? I purchased a nearly new 336CB 38-55 last month and have a heaver version of this mold, Accurate 38-250D.
Thanks, Bill
Idaho

View attachment 758517
I have the Accurate 245D. Very similar. I use 25-1 alloy and 10.3 gr of Unique and get 1,350 fps. It was my previous silhouette load and one I still use from time to time.

Reactions: 1Merlin

·
Registered
647 Posts

Through the Chickens and Pigs 19, out of 20 hits!

PS: Took first in AAA Big Bore Lever Silhouette at the regional match with this load!
Damn! :party:

Sir. I salute you!

Edit to add... Do you know anyone selling that bullet ready to shoot?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Pappy I just went to your club website and WOW! What a resource for a bullet caster. That is an awesome information repository!

I didn't find a way to see individual match results. I was hoping to see some names there that I might recognize from Steel Chickens or other areas....

I trust it is OK to link this page.... http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pappy I just went to your club website and WOW! What a resource for a bullet caster. That is an awesome information repository!

I didn't find a way to see individual match results. I was hoping to see some names there that I might recognize from Steel Chickens or other areas....

I trust it is OK to link this page.... Glen E. Fryxell, Cast bullets and firearm information and history
1Merlin,

Yes, the LASC has been around for many years with many contributors. The references on their site are what got me started casting with confidence.

Enjoy

Reactions: 1Merlin

·
Registered
261 Posts
Pappy, how did your 210 grain load do on the Rams? I have almost the same mould and want to try it. 2282B496-284B-4422-8803-C4E6D0F18046.jpeg

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

Today I tried a new cast bullet and load for Big Bore Silhouette. I only had 30 empty cases to load up the new combo in to take to the match, 10 for sighting and 20 for the match. The rest of the match was with my old 300 fps slower load with a 250 gr using 10.3 gr of Unique.

Marlin 336CB 38-55, 210 gr Accurate bullet, 96-2-2 alloy, shot as cast .380 mold, Win large pistol primers, 21.0 gr H-4198, and taper crimp. est 1,650-1,700 fps.

Through the Chickens and Pigs 19, out of 20 hits! The lighter bullet moving faster with less recoil really helped my score.

I did have a few sighting rounds left over and after the match found the Turkey and Ram sight settings. Next month, the full course with this load.

We have a California State Regional Match scheduled for March at our Club, Los Angeles Silhouette, where I look forward to using the new load combo.

The match is open to all, any silhouette shooters in the area during the three day match are welcome.

View attachment 743445

PS: Took first in the AAA Class Big Bore Lever Silhouette at the regional match with this load!
19 out of 20 congrats !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Goshawk,

No issues at all. Low hits rock over a little slower, higher hits fall fast, leg hits push the foot off the stand and it falls.

Reactions: Goshawk

·
Registered
261 Posts
As you can see my mould is a gas check mould but I am going to try it without the gas check first to see if the accuracy is OK. Gas checks are $ CDN 70+ postage up here. I also got some 45-45-10 lube from White label lubes and will be trying it also. So far it’s working great in my Winchester 94 45 Colt @ 1000 to 1400 fps. Isn’t this fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts