Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing the stock set on this 311C a few years ago I on and off pestered a friend of mine about buying it. He called me a few months ago and asked if I were still interested...but there was a catch. They were at the range and didn't notice a squib load in on side of the barrel.... it should clean up really nicely around 20" luckily for me. Originally it was going to get sent to the gunsmith but the more I looked at it the more I just wanted to do it myself and have a little fun.

So the first is the obvious. Going to get the chop tonight and hope that it won't require to much solder work when I'm finished, then clean it up. Going to attempt to make a brass bead from it on the lathe, thread it, and drill/tap a hole on the rib. Have a few inches of old barrel rib to try it on first!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not just re-use the current bead. Is it not screwed in?

Cool project. :)
I'll find out tonight with some heat, from trying last night it is pressed. If it is screwed, I'm going to do that. Frankly a brass bead just sounded like a fun project and I have some bar stock laying by the lathe..

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
OUCH!!! That coulda left a mark! I bet it left a lasting impression...?
Hope no one was injured!?

Good project....
Nice gun nonetheless....

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, the side bulge/burst was far enough forward in the barrel that the shrapnel went away from my friend and his father shooting. If he had not been on the end of the lanes it would have peppered anyone next to them or down the line though! They accounted it to a lodged wad - but we might never know.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
21,089 Posts
You can knock that project out in under an hour yourself! Didn't have a front bead on one I had myself and used a drill bit to create a small indentation and a toothpick dab of epoxy on one of my son's bb's made a perfect front bead that's not goin' anywhere! Nice project gun!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
who needs a bead with a side by side shorty, you do not aim a shotgun you point. just cut it and go bang away.................
For now that's how it is. Tried to drill a hole to tap a few times and the bit keeps walking, even with a center punch. I'll keep playing with the scrap pieces til something sticks I guess.

Just for fun I messed with a stud in the leather shop. Talk about quick recognition!

Bandsaw did a great job on it and made life a lot easier.

And back together for now:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Nice work!! Almost as good as some of the leather work I've seen...yah Nevermind...the leather work is waaaaaay better...
Still nice though...

Reactions: Eaglestroker

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice work!! Almost as good as some of the leather work I've seen...yah Nevermind...the leather work is waaaaaay better...
Still nice though...
I'm no gunsmith, and didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night. But it saved me enough money to be worthwhile to try!

Got the muzzle cleaned up on a stone last night which looks really nice now. Guess the next step is to pack the end with some steel wool and fill it up with solder.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
There is just something sinister and dangerous looking about a stagecoach gun.I kind of like that oversized bead you were studying on.Sort of like the XS Big Dot sights.

Reactions: Eaglestroker

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Got mine from a fella that had his in the trunk when the accident happened. Crunched the end of both bbls. Good project here is mine. 20 inch 12 ga Stevens.

Mine was set up with double beads front was pressed in. For me I have a milling machine with a vise so the drill did not walk.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,536 Posts
After cutting with a hacksaw, and squaring things up with a file and carpenter's square, I crowned a 12ga muzzle with a die grinder with a round end stone - just touched it and the inside was perfect. The outside I just took a fine file to just break the edge. Then took a 400 grit wet dry wetted with cutting oil on a block to polish the face of the muzzle surface. Turned out great, looked factory. AC

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Would not cost that much to have both bbls set up for choke tubes.

If you figure out the rate of constriction you can use a brake cylinder hone to make a jug choke within the bbl that is very effective.

I use mine mainly for home defense no chokes necessary at close range. Both bbls with high end goose loads seem okay.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.