Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my parents last weekend and was talking with my dad about some of the guns we used to have. He drug out an old soft gun case from his office closet that was covered in mold and proceeded to pull out a Remington Speedmaster Model 552 semiauto. It was one I remember seeing at his fathers house as a boy. Unfortunately it is in lousy shape in that the rust bug has gotten a hold of the outside of the barrel but otherwise semd sound. the wood was intact but was also moldy. He gave it to me to see what I could do with it. After examining it in the light the bore looks very good and everything moves in and out like its supposed to. I took it a part and found that the gun had probably never been cleaned other than a cursory spray and wipe. I have the trigger mechanism soaking in Hoppes #9 as well as the rest of the small parts so I can see what I need to replace. I sanded the barrel which is scarred from the rut pits. I'll get some of them out but think its probably a candidate for a coat of Alluma-Hyde and a stock refinish. While I had the barrel out I looked up what passes for a serial number and found out it was made in April 1957. Should be a nice little shooter and a great way to introduce my wife to the joys of shooting.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts