Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
The rules in Canada are: 18" barrel or overall shootable length 26". So although its a takedown its only shootable length will be over 26" if you have a pistol grip shotgun 18'' barrel is the shortest but if you have a full stock on it I believe a 8-10'' barrel ends up giving you legal length. They sell the Trapper here no problems
I believe this is actually the law in Canada:
- non-restricted, non-semi-automatic, rifles and shotguns (along with semi-automatic rimfire rifles) may have barrel lengths of less than 18 inches (providing the overall length remains more than 26 inches) as long as the barrel was manufactured that way from the factory

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Serious thanks gentlemen. I've been rather distracted and busy for a number of reasons, so haven't been on the forums much. Nice to see the interest in this project gun.

Update: I've been curious how the work is going, but I'm still resisting a phone call. I figure Jerry is probably just as distracted with this pandemic situation as the rest of us. I don't need to add to his stress, so I'm being cool....even if the itch is developing. I'm completely content with trusting him, and I'm also content with the choices I made for sights, cerakote, lever and other mods. I think this is going to prove to be a really awesome short weapon, and fun to shoot. I just hope things settle down for all of us so we can go back to focusing more attention on the things we enjoy.

I hope a few of you are shooting...if you have ammo. I have basically none in .45-70 and so the gun may sadly have to sit when it gets back to me. I'll just pet it and admire it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I was told the same thing by the guide I used in New Brunswick. Canadian Customs confirmed that the barrel had to be factory 16" otherwise 18". I was not able to take my GG due to the fact the barrel had been cut to 16.25".
HTH

Joe

I believe this is actually the law in Canada:
- non-restricted, non-semi-automatic, rifles and shotguns (along with semi-automatic rimfire rifles) may have barrel lengths of less than 18 inches (providing the overall length remains more than 26 inches) as long as the barrel was manufactured that way from the factory

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I really like your pics of the country by the way. I have a grandson that lives outside of Anchorage and going up there it is definitely beautiful and RUGGED country. Really looking forward to your finished project and learning how she shoots.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I like the burnt bronze color. I just wanted something a bit more unique and....since I’m not going to do another one....I decided now is the time to do it. There are lots of nice Cerakote finishes and colors. One thing my eye noticed is the difference in semi-gloss vs total matte finishes. I prefer a bit of shine, but not much....it makes a color look quite different.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I think I'm going to give my gunsmith a call this week, just to touch base. I've thought of a couple small things I hope he can do to the project gun. As an example....I'm pretty big on not having sharp corners or edges on hard-kicking guns. Part of the already-planned work is for Jerry to meld or slightly relieve any sharp edges or angles on the gun. It won't be really noticeable to the eye, but in the hand it's a different matter. I'm going to ask him to do the same edge or corner-relieving to the new Skinner sight...mainly the (aperture) base and front ramp. I hope that explains it anyway.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Finally a worthwhile bit of news....

I talked with Jerry today and he updated me on progress. I was shocked to learn he might have the work completed by next week, and certainly within two weeks. The Skinner sights are on the way and he is going to do a bit of customizing to them per my request. Cerakote applications will happen last, and we did confirm on the 2 colors, Magpul Green and Graphite Black. As a late decision I decided to have him drill and tap the gun for his scout scope base. For now I’m having him put dummy screws in the holes, but I’ll be able to add the scope base if I ever want an optical sight.

Next update should be when I have the finished gun. Stage III ahead!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Not my style but its your rifle and in good hands if you like it thats what counts and even though its not my style the work looks great
I prefer my rifles in a traditonal old school format blue and brown with a length of barrel to them.apperture sights are sweet,so are steel weavers (k2)or even full buckhorns.

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
Looking forward to the finished rifle. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: kah64
41 - 56 of 56 Posts