Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think I'd like the two tone black and gray, but it's your gun. Is your plan to use this for hunting or self defense. Just curious.
V
My previous guide gun was mostly gray (Parkerized) and walnut. It was an awesome looking gun but I have little desire to revisit that look. Still, nothing ruled out at this point.

This gun will serve dual duty. It's obviously a defensive piece and I'm building it with that as the top priority. It will also serve as a backup weapon while bowhunting. I may decide to kill a moose with it this year. I'll be hunting solo for 2 weeks and I really need some moose meat for my gang.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a Skinner Express and Bear Buster pairing on my GBL. Some file work was required on the front, but I think you'll be very happy with them.

One other thought for you or others that may be considering modifications. I really like the looks and understand the practicality of the 16 1/2" barrel, but if your future plans include Canada, anything under 18" is prohibited. Someone please chime in if I'm mistaken. I'm not sure about laws regarding transport.

Fantastic pictures! The quality of pictures some of you post is so impressive. I'm doing well if I can take a picture of a rifle without my feet in the bottom of the frame.

Keith

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Two week solo hunt for moose, I hope you get one but don't envy you portaging out a thousands pounds of moose solo. Might want to have the gang on speed dial.

I understand the take down feature for ease of transport but some places, Canada, might have issue with that too. Too easy to conceal. Looks like you bow hunt with a recurve, do you carry the carbine across your back?
V

·
Registered
19,488 Posts
Like some others here, I'm usually more of a traditionalist, but think you're choice of the OD green with the contrasting color will look fantastic! Very much lookin' forward to the finished pics!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have a Skinner Express and Bear Buster pairing on my GBL. Some file work was required on the front, but I think you'll be very happy with them.
I feel pretty confident in my choice of Skinner sights. I might have my gunsmith do some minor rounding and reshaping of the rear sight corners and edges, just to match the feel of the gun when it's complete. Which reminds me....

Part of the work involves doing some 'melding' (think minor relieving and smoothing) of the receiver edges and angles, which makes the gun feel a little smoother in the hand. Also, the Decelerator pad will have the toe bobbed some and significant rounding all around to help it shoulder more cleanly with hunting clothes on. This image demonstrates that pretty well:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Two week solo hunt for moose, I hope you get one but don't envy you portaging out a thousands pounds of moose solo. Might want to have the gang on speed dial.

Looks like you bow hunt with a recurve, do you carry the carbine across your back?
V
I've done a successful moose solo in the recent past. I was alone for 15 days and killed a mature bull late in the hunt. I've taken enough moose (and butchered them all) to know what a workload that is. Solo is very intense, but ultra satisfying. Not easy, but then the good things in life often take lots of effort.

I mostly hunt with a takedown longbow these days. I haven't carried the short rifle yet...while actually bowhunting...and I'm busy working on that plan. I always wear a medium sized hunting backpack (Mystery Ranch Pintler) and I'm going to see if I can rig a good way to carry the short rifle externally on the pack.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well guys....

I’ve probably been a little too locked down on winged sights. After thinking this through I’ve decided to eliminate wings and go with an exposed aperture. My gunsmith likes XS sights but my preference is a Skinner....either Express or Alaskan. I’ll replace the front factory sight with a Skinner Bear Buster ramped blade.

I’m going to skip any porting. Recoil doesn’t worry me but excess muzzle flash and blast is decidedly unpleasant.

As for finish colors: The green appeals to me but I’ll admit to being worried the finished look might hit me differently. I’m trying to have a little fun with this part, and not really wanting to go with a blued, black or standard gray finish. I’d like an interesting look but not a clownish gun. I’m still looking at Cerakote colors and considering alternatives.

Your continued comments are welcome.
I think this is a good move on the sights. The skinner with the ability to change inserts. If you find yourself using only irons, being able to change to a smaller apperature can add 50 more yards of good accuracy very easily. I would get a large and medium insert and practice with both...one for snap shooting and the other for 100 yards. I would set it for the 100 yard insert and learn how the larger insert hits at 30 yards with that setting.
RT4

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
No further comments from me on your choices. You've given it enough consideration and the end result will be GREAT!

Love those Alaska photos. And I'd love to see more of them.

Great project!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
takedown conversion? out of curiosity I would like to see how that is done
This is an example of his work. Picture mine without the scope or scope base....at least initially. Mine also will not have the ring (& pin) shown at the base of the foregrip. My barrel will be shorter, with different front sight. My lever will be a RPP (bigger) lever....and many other differences.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I look forward to your completed project. I personally don't care for porting as it seems to increase the sound back at the shooter and everyone to the side if you shoot at the range much. I even have a S&W 460 that somes from the factory with a ported muzzle brake. Even out in the woods carrying it for hunting it really hurt my ears. I was able to come up with a solid piece insert from Smith and installing it made the sound more tolerable. It increased the recoil a little but was a great trade off for me. But like was said I would not do the porting as it can always be added later if you desire.

·
Registered
6 Posts

One other thought for you or others that may be considering modifications. I really like the looks and understand the practicality of the 16 1/2" barrel, but if your future plans include Canada, anything under 18" is prohibited. Someone please chime in if I'm mistaken. I'm not sure about laws regarding transport.

Fantastic pictures! The quality of pictures some of you post is so impressive. I'm doing well if I can take a picture of a rifle without my feet in the bottom of the frame.

Keith
The rules in Canada are: 18" barrel or overall shootable length 26". So although its a takedown its only shootable length will be over 26" if you have a pistol grip shotgun 18'' barrel is the shortest but if you have a full stock on it I believe a 8-10'' barrel ends up giving you legal length. They sell the Trapper here no problems

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You have a good plan and an excellent gunsmith, by reputation.

I agree with the comments above about the OD ceracote. Rather makes it look unhealty...

Personally, I wouldn't bother with porting your rifle--unless you think you won't have enough muzzle blast at 16.25". Try it without. Porting can always be added later. My son is an audiologist, and I'm concerned for your hearing. You'll be wearing hearing protection at the range, but probably not in the woods.

But, hey, it's your rifle.

I look forward to the pictures of the completed project.
Agreed, why spread the flame thrower sideways. Keep it in front of the muzzle. It's the ones on both side of you at the range that you have to worry about. The concussion will blow them off the paper and possibly senge some hair.

Nice build and good size to breakdown into a backpack or carry case for travel.

·
Registered
9,624 Posts
Another sight option you might want to take a look at is the cloverleaf sight by Ranger Point Precision. Also, if you're looking at a unique color besides the typical blue, black, and grey Cerakote. Burnt Bronze is a nice looking, and unique color. This particular rifle was done by Grizzly Customs. Not my rifle, but I thought the color was pretty neat:
burntbronze cerakote.jpg

21 - 40 of 56 Posts