Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1895G (JM era) is now with Jerry Dove in WV for custom work. Prior to taking it to him, I did a lot of research and planning for what I might want him to do to this nice gun.

When I uncased the gun, Jerry's first comment was "This is a really nice gun", and right after that: "Has it ever been fired?" I told him I could find no evidence of it ever being shot. He inspected the bore and bolt face, finding no brass traces or other signs of use. Pristine. He began asking me about the work, and I started at the muzzle:

Shorten the barrel down to 16-1/4". This removes the existing porting. I could have him add porting to the shortened barrel but not sure it really matters that much. Re-crown to factory profile.

Remove buckhorn rear sight and do a nice custom fill on the dovetail slot.

Plan for either Skinner or XS aperture sight rear, and new blade w/ramp up front. Currently favoring Skinner winged rear, or Express.

Full Takedown conversion with associated changes to magazine tube and cap. New stainless follower.

Complete action smoothing.

Trigger work to improve crispness and break at about 3.0 lb. Slightly round and smooth tail of trigger.

Ranger Point Loop Lever.

Pachmayr Decelerator Pad and shorten length of pull by 3/4".

Refinish: Receiver, barrel and magazine tube will be Cerakote in Magpul OD Green with semi gloss finish.

Refinish: All other parts except bolt will be Cerakote Graphite Black.

Other possibilities at this point: Scout scope rail on barrel. I had little interest in this option until Jerry handed me a custom Marlin with a scope mounted. I was impressed with how little the scope affected balance and handling. Still not sure I want the rail though at a $150 option. Stock bedding: He did not think this was necessary, and I could find no reason to disagree.

So the main thing I have to decide on soon is which set of sights. Also, porting or no? The scout rail decision can wait a bit longer.

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts, feedback, suggestions and whatever you like (or don't) about the project. My inspiration for the finished look is this gun image:

Example of work at Dove's Custom Guns:

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Skinner sights. But I would choose the Alaskan. It blends and flows perfectly with the 336 like it is part of the receiver. A true work of art. Also no porting or scout scope for me

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
I have to agree on the cerakote color( matte black or blued for me, but that’s a personal preference) and the scout scope. I think you said your objective was backup or bear protection while bow hunting in Alaska. For that I think a good aperture or peep sight would be just as fast and accurate, more bulletproof and more ergonomic ( lighter also). As far as porting goes, I really don’t think it would be necessary for a gun that hopefully won’t be shot a lot. The gun in the picture is a work of art.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
You have a good plan and an excellent gunsmith, by reputation.

I agree with the comments above about the OD ceracote. Rather makes it look unhealty...

Personally, I wouldn't bother with porting your rifle--unless you think you won't have enough muzzle blast at 16.25". Try it without. Porting can always be added later. My son is an audiologist, and I'm concerned for your hearing. You'll be wearing hearing protection at the range, but probably not in the woods.

But, hey, it's your rifle.

I look forward to the pictures of the completed project.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I like your overall plan. I don't mind OD green, and while it is certainly unconventional on such a traditional long gun style, when the gun wears walnut furniture it works for me because of how it might blend into a background of wood and leaves.

And, as much as I love! any Marlin 1894/5/336 with a curved stock and lever, I am smitten with my stainless JM era GS. The fact that it shoots true is just another reason.

Looking forward to pics! of the finished product! :beer:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys....

I’ve probably been a little too locked down on winged sights. After thinking this through I’ve decided to eliminate wings and go with an exposed aperture. My gunsmith likes XS sights but my preference is a Skinner....either Express or Alaskan. I’ll replace the front factory sight with a Skinner Bear Buster ramped blade.

I’m going to skip any porting. Recoil doesn’t worry me but excess muzzle flash and blast is decidedly unpleasant.

As for finish colors: The green appeals to me but I’ll admit to being worried the finished look might hit me differently. I’m trying to have a little fun with this part, and not really wanting to go with a blued, black or standard gray finish. I’d like an interesting look but not a clownish gun. I’m still looking at Cerakote colors and considering alternatives.

Your continued comments are welcome.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
The two toned matte black and contrasting gray on the gun in your op looks really classy but the finish color more than anything else is mostly subjective. I am sure we will all drool over your finished product.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My 1895G (JM era) is now with Jerry Dove in WV for custom work. Prior to taking it to him, I did a lot of research and planning for what I might want him to do to this nice gun.

When I uncased the gun, Jerry's first comment was "This is a really nice gun", and right after that: "Has it ever been fired?" I told him I could find no evidence of it ever being shot. He inspected the bore and bolt face, finding no brass traces or other signs of use. Pristine. He began asking me about the work, and I started at the muzzle:

Shorten the barrel down to 16-1/4". This removes the existing porting. I could have him add porting to the shortened barrel but not sure it really matters that much. Re-crown to factory profile.

Remove buckhorn rear sight and do a nice custom fill on the dovetail slot.

Plan for either Skinner or XS aperture sight rear, and new blade w/ramp up front. Currently favoring Skinner winged rear, or Express.

Full Takedown conversion with associated changes to magazine tube and cap. New stainless follower.

Complete action smoothing.

Trigger work to improve crispness and break at about 3.0 lb. Slightly round and smooth tail of trigger.

Ranger Point Loop Lever.

Pachmayr Decelerator Pad and shorten length of pull by 3/4".

Refinish: Receiver, barrel and magazine tube will be Cerakote in Magpul OD Green with semi gloss finish.

Refinish: All other parts except bolt will be Cerakote Graphite Black.

Other possibilities at this point: Scout scope rail on barrel. I had little interest in this option until Jerry handed me a custom Marlin with a scope mounted. I was impressed with how little the scope affected balance and handling. Still not sure I want the rail though at a $150 option. Stock bedding: He did not think this was necessary, and I could find no reason to disagree.

So the main thing I have to decide on soon is which set of sights. Also, porting or no? The scout rail decision can wait a bit longer.

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts, feedback, suggestions and whatever you like (or don't) about the project. My inspiration for the finished look is this gun image:

Example of work at Dove's Custom Guns:

Over the years I have owned a number of Ported rifles and pistols.
Most will disagree with me but IMO porting is all about sound and fury.
It doesn't represent that much of an improvement to have it and the additional muzzle blast and flash.
Put me down as anti porting on my guns.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Great project, I can't wait to see the finished product! I'm more traditional about finish color, but the OD on the inspirational rifle looks good with the contrasting screws and loading gate. You can't go wrong with Skinner sights and the medium RRP levers have been calling me. Did he give you a completion date?

Keith

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I only fired my .308 with the muzzle break without hearing protection ONCE, my left ear was ringing for 3 days normally I use a moderator on this rifle. I think dropping the porting is wise move for a gun that may be used in an emergency situation. Losing the ability to hear in a low light or in darkness situation could have a very bad outcome as the muzzle flash may rob you of your night vision you may have to rely on your hearing. As has been said you can have porting added later, I would fire it with that short tube first ? Gar.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Decisions:

Skinner Express rear sight and Skinner Bear Buster front sight are now decided. I'm going to have the safety deleted, as I see it as more of a possible problem in a defensive situation. NO porting, as stated previously.

As for Cerakote, I've still got time to settle in on the final color(s). I know I want all the miscellaneous hardware to be Graphite Black. Receiver, barrel and mag tube....hmmm....I've really been looking at possibilities. I suppose those pieces could end up being anything, but so far no one color has impressed me enough to change my decision. One thing I specifically requested for those larger main pieces is that the finish have some gloss as opposed to a totally flat finish. Gloss completely classes up the color and look of the finished weapon. At least...that's what my eyes and brain think.

To answer a question posted previously: I don't have a probable completion date for the work. I didn't try to squeeze an earlier turnout, as I'm willing to wait my turn in line. I honestly think it might be midsummer, though Jerry didn't hesitate to say it would be sometime this spring. To me that's pretty quick, given the magnitude of the job and all the other work I saw in progress there.

A few images from my hunting area in east-central Alaska:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Will be cool to see the final work. If you don't like the OD color, you can always color it somehow, either change the whole of it or put brown spots on it to make it look camo. I think I'd like the two tone black and gray, but it's your gun. Is your plan to use this for hunting or self defense. Just curious.
V

1 - 20 of 56 Posts