Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Lee makes good basic equipment. The same cannot be said for their progressive presses. You would be better served to save that money towards a Hornady or Dillon machine.

·
Registered
957 Posts
My Lee Pro 1000 got converted to a simple turret press which tells you how I feel about it. Main problem is the priming system. The feed is untrustworthy; there is no "feel" to the priming operation; a cocked primer means a major disassembly operation to get that case out; the whole primer system can blow up with a hell of a bang.

The basic AutoDisk charging system has its problems too, but they are curable by upgrading to the Pro AutoDisk.

Were I ever to try it again, I would size and prime off the press, and use the Pro to bell, charge, seat, and crimp. It does those functions well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really. I was talking to a guy the other day who just raved about his Progressive 1000. The topic came up after he mentioned he had a bunch of brass for sale cheap. We talked about reloading and he said he really liked reloading with his Lee and recommended that specific unit, the Progressive 1000.

With a progressive, what do you do when after sizing the case is too long? Does it spit it out in another direction?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know, I'm just listening. I like the idea. Maybe the idea is to size and trim, and then start there. I don't mind sizing and trimming, I can do those pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Dillon has a trim die for his machines, but it is pretty expensive. Other than that, removing cases from the cycle to trim is the only way. I believe that most progressive users do not trim cases every time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I checked it out. Hornady's in my ballpark. I need to do some more research, but otherwise it's a go ahead. Thanks for the info. That was really helpful. 8)

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
The Lee equipment I have bought and used has been very basic stuff, some has been OK, other has been junk and I have gotten rid of it. I have a Lee single stage press that broke about the 5th time I used it. I now use it as a decapper or crimp press when reloading bottleneck rifle rounds.

I have a Hornady Pro-Jector that I love. I only load pistol rounds on it or .223 and .30-06 rifle rounds as a bullet seater / crimper. I clean my brass after resizing so a progressive press isn't necessary for me for rifle rounds. I also measure each powder charge on a balance scale.

I have had a bit of trouble with the primer feed process, it's a little weak. Sometimes it will snap back and flip the primer or pop it out of the arm completely. I have installed a mirror so I can see on the back side of the press and the primer arm.

I bought it over 10 years ago and never regretted it. I researched every press out there, even RCBS and Dillion, before I bought the Hornady. I am not a Dillion 'moonie' and I didn't think the RCBS was as good as the Hornady.

...just my two rounds worth...

Happy Reloading!

·
Registered
121 Posts
imashooter2 said:
Dillon has a trim die for his machines, but it is pretty expensive. Other than that, removing cases from the cycle to trim is the only way. I believe that most progressive users do not trim cases every time.
Pity that there is no way to trim before sizing, that's how this Dillon user does it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Who says you can't trim before sizing? My Forster does just fine. So does my drill press. Just need to know how much to allow for sizing change.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Leftoverdj said:
Who says you can't trim before sizing? My Forster does just fine. So does my drill press. Just need to know how much to allow for sizing change.
ah, I was being sarcastic. I thought everbody trimmed before going to the press.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sorry, Rufus. Some folks trim with the Lee gadget and others with the RCBS dies and a file. Those are non-adjustable and you can't allow for sizing stretching.

Those of us can adjust tend to forget about those who can't and the other way around.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
I have several Lee 1000 presses, all of which are now setting in a box in the floor of my loading room. I have several Dillons and love them. No way to beat their service. I haven't used the Hornady but it looks like it is well built. reflex264

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm sure there is a better way to do it, but when I was loading .223 for competition, I made sizing and trimming a separate operation. When I came back from the range with a sack of brass, I would de-prime that brass and throw it in the cleaner for a little while, after which I would lube, size, and trim if needed. After that, I would throw it all back in the cleaner for a more thorough cleaning, but mainly to clean the lube off the cases. I would then set that brass aside and load it up when I got a good batch together. I completely left the sizing die out of my Dillon and skipped that stage. This method slows the operation down quite a bit, and kind of negates the benefits of the progressive press, but I found it still a lot faster than a single stage. HOWEVER, if I didn't need rounds in such large quantity, I would load them all on a single instead. Actually I didn't mind slowing down a little bit. Loading rounds is kinda like therapy for me. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts