Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who has one, or shot one? im looking at a XT-17. wonder if it is worth a flip? i like the accutrigger on savages. just wondering how this stacks up...

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have one in my new XT22. It was good out of the box, but me being me had to tinker a little. Even after a good initial cleaning of the new rifle, when I took the pro fire apart it was still full of grease. I polished all the mating surfaces, and tuned the springs by cutting a quarter turn at a time until I was happy. It now rivals my tuned Savage accutrigger on my BV. I have it at 14 oz. with no slam fires, and can still adjust it to over 3#.
My rifle shoots dime size groups at 50 yards off a shaky bench with a bipod and rear bag. I suspect the .17 would be a one holer with a good setup.
My rifle...

Here's some pics of the Profire...

Polished trigger and sear..

I also took the bolt apart and polished it up. I found the stamped firing pin to have rough edges and smoothed this out as well. I'd advise against taking the bolt completely apart as I did-major pita to get back together...

Best of luck with your decision, I love my XT22!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thank you Radar. I was interested in the same model, but in 22 mag. How is the wood fit on this rifle? I'm a bigger fan of the tube magazines, so I will likely get the one with the tube. It sounds like you are pretty happy with yours, I think I may just pull the trigger and get one too. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea thanks! thats a nice looking rifle ya got there!

trying to decide between this and the ruer 77/17. for price, the marlin definately wins, but something about that ruger!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Joe S. said:
yea thanks! thats a nice looking rifle ya got there!

trying to decide between this and the ruer 77/17. for price, the marlin definately wins, but something about that ruger!
Joe, I have a Marlin 917V and it is a flat out shooter. I need to add a Rifle Basix trigger in the near future......after that I should have not problem getting excellent groups at 100 yards.......already gettin .75" to .5" groups. I don't know about the newer Rugers, but my experience with them in the past was they had super heavy triggers, especially the ones with the 3 position safety and not the tang safety (older tang safety models were shooters).......that may have changed though.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a 917 as well and sold it as I had built it into a heavy rifle and it wasn't fun to carry hunting anymore.

I've got a 77 mark 2 in 308 and the trigger is good on it.

I'm not to worried about a heavy trigger as it is fixable if that's the only complaint I have. I love the flush fitting mag and 9 rounds is a plus too. I would prefer the heavy barrel but for a hunter it definately would be lighter with the sporter barrel. Just weighing my options. I think either one would make me happy as I've had both brands and liked em both

·
Registered
711 Posts
Wood fit is great. I free floated the barrel and considered pillars and bedding, but the action kind of snaps into the stock-very tight. It shoots, so I'll leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Joe S. said:
I had a 917 as well and sold it as I had built it into a heavy rifle and it wasn't fun to carry hunting anymore.

I've got a 77 mark 2 in 308 and the trigger is good on it.

I'm not to worried about a heavy trigger as it is fixable if that's the only complaint I have. I love the flush fitting mag and 9 rounds is a plus too. I would prefer the heavy barrel but for a hunter it definately would be lighter with the sporter barrel. Just weighing my options. I think either one would make me happy as I've had both brands and liked em both
Hrm...would have killed to see if you could easily switch a T-900 or older 25M/700/800 trigger out with the Pro-Fire... :D

Got a buddy with an old 800/900/25N/25M series Marlin??

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marlin, 17hmr... Take TWO!! :D

Gonna try and get it to the range tomorrow. Only XT I could find anywhere around was the birch stock, heavy barrel, blued model. Picked up an (apparently) older model BSA sweet 17 3-12x40 for 60 bucks. New, old stock I guess. Gonna try it out, hopefully tomorrow. We'll see. Hope it shoots as nice as my 917 shot. I loved that rifle.

Gonna start looking for a non-thumbhole laminate stock to slap on there. Maybe this will still be a lightweight setup with that laminate and will serve me well.

Now how do you adjust that trigger? :)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Big shrek
Don't know anyone at the moment. Not real sure who got my old one.

Also picked up a box of winchester 17gr, hornady 17gr and 20 gr ammo. Gonna see how my groups do with each. Kinda hopin they do best with the 20grainers. Like those pretty good.

My last one liked the cci tnt's. Bass pro was out of them tonight tho. :-/

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've been looking for an XT in 22 mag for a while. My buddy owns a gun store and he said when he called all his providers they said they have been on back order since January. They said since the buyout they have had hell getting these into production. Go figure. :-\ I have gone to several other gun sites and stores and it's the same thing. Guess I'll just have to wait. :(

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i had wanted the stainless with laminate stock... no luck anywhere...

i will wait. see how i like this trigger. if i like it good enough, when i can find one, i may buy it and give this one to my stepson... who knows... may fall in love with this one. haha

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
No. The trigger on the XT- series rifles attaches with two screws that mount into the bottom of the action. The old style triggers attach with one cross screw into a u-bracket that hangs down.

Here they are together and separately:

ProFire:

The 25N trigger which I think has been the same for-freaking-ever:

Reactions: Thom917

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thanks JetBlack for the prompt, clear explanation.
Thank you :) I am a visual learner. One look and everyone can say "Ooooh! Yeah, that'll never work." But ten pages of descriptions would only make it more difficult to understand, methinks.

I left a piece of paper at the place (Brown Bearing) that provides us with calipers, gaskets and bearings.

"If a picture is worth a thousand words, a sample is worth a thousand pictures."

Next time I came in, they'd laminated it and put it on their check-out counter!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Marlin xt22 Trigger

Anyone know where I can purchase a replacement trigger spring for the XT-22 ?? I want a spare spring in hand, before I begin cutting 1/4 coils off to lighten the pull. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts