Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here we are again. Players and owners cannot solve the 9 BILLION DOLLAR question as to what should we make now??? The owners?? Well they have to worry somewhat about fans showing up at the stadiums. The players??, well they simply are supposed to show up and play, collecting the $$$$$ they agreed to collect.

The Comissioner??, well he makes $10,000,000. a year. THAT'S TEN F'ING MILLION!!! So some of you might be able to turn that into a number you can relate to; that is over $192,000. a week. You all may laugh (no problem!), I've never made $192,000. in two years ever, combined!!

I happen to be a retired military pilot, who works in a 2nd career and also own 5 houses as investments. Nope, not even close to well off, but I figure I'll eat dinner every day next week and even the thought of $192,000 earned in a year makes me salivate here & now!!

My meager thoughts on the subject? No one demanded the players sign their contracts and play in the NFL. Perhaps they have another, better skill that they could sell elsewhere?? Oh, maybe some did not choose to finish the education that someone was willing to give them in trade for their playing football??

Do the players, because of their high $$$$$$$$$$$$ believe they are more important as the coach or even the owner?? Well, when I was young, I recall players calling their coaches, Mr Lombardi or Mr Landry. But, again, remember I'm pretty old (not even near retirement age!!!!)

Yes, you have seen/read my contempt for the players here. They had options. They chose to put all their eggs in the NFL basket, and I, for ONE, don't see just how they are suffering.

· Registered
1,597 Posts
The sports section of one of today's news broadcasts stated that the annual AVERAGE NFL football player salary is $1.6 million. Is there any other union in the world whose rank and file members hold that degree of wealth? Doesn't the concept of a union representing a nearly unanimous group of millionaires seem somewhat absurd?

· Registered
296 Posts
Well Ed......My contempt is for both owners and players alike.Remember that a career in the NFL is relatively short.......3 years on the average.I dont fault a player for getting all he can get...for the period of time that they CAN get it.From MY perspective.....the STAR players could be the reason for an imbalance here.Star players of couse command larger $$$$$ contracts,and generally have longer than average careers.Isnt it the competition between owners that inflates the salaries of star players for longer periods of time?Who forces owners to award such contracts?Seems to me that there is enough greed and blame to go around.I was a front row,club level season ticket holder here in Kansas City for over 20 years.Several years ago......as they kept escalating ticket AND parking prices...............I told them I no longer wanted thier tickets!I havent been to a game since,and probably never will.If the FANS went on strike for one season.....maybe owners and players could come to an agreement in the "golden mean".

Dave

· Registered
20,288 Posts
Jeepstrapped said:
I haven't wathed a baseball game since the baseball strike. I s'pose it'll be the same for football.
Yep this is following my line of thinking and they just don't get it

· Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I don t care how long career lasts. They choose to be players. They make more than they are worth. Farmers and ranchers should make 192k/year as they perform a vital function. The players need to get a real job.

Papalote

· Registered
296 Posts
Papalote..........I wont disagree about players getting a real job.I also know personally of several farmers that make well over 190,000 on the average.............through government subsidies......and some get quite a chunk of $$$$$$$$$$$ for letting large tracts of land lay idle.Of course these are "large" farmers who work the system.The small farmers of course get the shaft(just like independent owner/operator in the trucking business).I dont begrudge these people for taking full advantage of the "system".....because as of now ..it is offered,and legal.Mostly through lobbying of large corporate entities that are "farmers".Much like a union that negotiates for all they can get for thier members.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.