Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 1895GS and went to the range to play. The only ammo I could find was Federal 300gr in the blue box. I set a target at 25 yards just to be safe and i was hitting about 6 inches low and to the right. I adjusted the rear ramp to the highest point and still kept hitting low. I am trying to find somewhere in Canada that sell XS sights but having a hard time and I still want to play in the mean time but not when this thing is shooting like this. PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Moncton45-70 said:
Recently bought a 1895GS and went to the range to play. The only ammo I could find was Federal 300gr in the blue box. I set a target at 25 yards just to be safe and i was hitting about 6 inches low and to the right. I adjusted the rear ramp to the highest point and still kept hitting low. I am trying to find somewhere in Canada that sell XS sights but having a hard time and I still want to play in the mean time but not when this thing is shooting like this. PLEASE HELP!!!
If it were me, i would put a decent low power scope on your rifle, but that's me, good luck on your choice, regards...Lou

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to stick with iron sights and i've heard good things about the XS sights.....but it boggles my mind that these sights are that off and I have no further adjustment.....thinking the wrong sights were installed rear ramp possibly.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Moncton45-70 said:
I wanted to stick with iron sights and i've heard good things about the XS sights.....but it boggles my mind that these sights are that off and I have no further adjustment.....thinking the wrong sights were installed rear ramp possibly.
Could be?..it's hard to say, i have the same 1895 GS as you, and have had no issues shooting it with the iron sights, it's bang on, at 50 yds anyway...I hope you can resolve your sight issue, Lou

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Moncton45-70 -- I'm not particularly familiar with that rifle but it looks like it has a ramp for the front sight base. You've got a couple options here. Shorten the front sight, or elevate the rear sight (more). Can you give me a height on the front sight from the base of the dovetail up, not including the ramp? Is it a blade or bead? Which one of the pictures below does your rear sight look like? Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes NS NB it is.....Ordered my sights last night. I wonder why nobody sells them in Canada. Did some looking around and Marlin has been known to ship these guns on occasion with the wrong sights and will ship the proper ones to you. Still gonna put the XS sights on.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Unfortunatly you may still have the same problem with the XS sights. It could be the wrong sights were installed and if the gun was built by Remington (with an MR prefix seial#) I would not be surprised.

Is the gun new? Does the serial # have an MR prefix? It could be a problem with the barrel and if it has an MR prefix serial# some have had that problem. Let us know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Moncton... I'm only an hour and 15 mins from ya pal...Miramichi NB!

Also check the barrel close to where it goes into the receiver.
Does it have a JM stamp or a REP(Remington) stamp?(I'm guessing a REP :()
I bought a SBL just before Xmas from Williams Arms in Port Perry Ontario, had to make 27 phone calls to different stores before I found it, serial begins w/ 91(2009 production), fit n finish is very good and it has JM stamp on barrel.(Marlin)
The SBL comes with the XS Sights already installed, and although some have had problems with them, I think mostly to due with barrel issues on the rifle(not the sights)
All in all I cant find a flaw on this rifle, pretty sure I got one of the last ones to come from Marlin plant(hope so anyways) :)

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you call marlin they will send you a larger buckhorn rear sight and at no charge if the gun is new. But you are going to like the xo sights a whole lot better anyway.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I hope you get the problem fixed, i'm sure you well..enjoy your new 45-70....I sure do :)...Regards...Lou

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
My dad had the same problem when he bought his GS...... I'm not sure of the year it was made but it was definitely made in CT.
He's had it for a few years.

A different height front site will also solve this problem.....

·
Registered
277 Posts
I love Marlin rifles but dont care much for their sights. That is why I either scope the rifle or use a peep sight. I have had both a Williams Williams FP-94/36 and Williams WGRS-336, pretty good sights but I think I am going to give the Skinner sights a go, they look to be much better quallity and the reviews are very good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the gun new it is a 91 series s/n and has the rep stamp near the receiver. I talked to Marlin today and they were going to send me anew rear sight (two sizes ) until they found out I was in Canada and referred me to a place in Quebec but I haven't contacted them due to their business hours. Thanks all for the feedback. Ordered my XS Ghost Ring set today....hoping it's not my Barrel.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Moncton45-70 said:
I bought the gun new it is a 91 series s/n and has the rep stamp near the receiver. I talked to Marlin today and they were going to send me anew rear sight (two sizes ) until they found out I was in Canada and referred me to a place in Quebec but I haven't contacted them due to their business hours. Thanks all for the feedback. Ordered my XS Ghost Ring set today....hoping it's not my Barrel.
Bought mine 2 weeks ago..serial # MR 07****** Also has the REP stamp on it...looks and shoots just great :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did some more research and Marlin are taking these guns back and replacing them with new ones because they have had so many issues. Marlin told me that they are having so many returned that I am looking at a minimum of three months until I get a replacement. If I didn't like this damn gun so much I would just get my money back from the store that sold me the gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts