Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Problems with Accurate 5744 ?

5K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  GH1 
#1 ·
Has anybody had any problems with the unburnt? leftover residue that 5744 leaves in their barrels?

A shooter I know that has shot a lot of cast bullet loads says that he had read that the unburnt kernels of 5744 left in a barrel can cause accuracy problems. He had used it for 38-55 and .45-70, but now says that he has sworn off of it. He further says that he himself thinks that he has suffered accuracy loss in two of his rifles because of it. I like the stuff myself, as it is just about the most accurate powder I have used for "reduced" cast bullet loads in duplicating black powder velocities in my single shot and lever guns. I have probably burned up 5 or 6 lbs. of the stuff and I don't "think" I am seeing any reduction in accuracy. It is annoying to keep it out of the actions. But, I think that is my only complaint about it. Any thoughts or experiences ??

Smoke Ratchet

#5 ·
rbyham,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've used a pile of unique over the years and it's good stuff too. It can be somewhat position sensitive though with light charge weights where as the 5744 is not. 5744 is versatile stuff for duplicating cast bullet black powder velocity loads. I've used it in .30-30, .38-55, .40-65, .45-70, .45-90 and it worked real well.

Smoke Ratchet

#7 ·
Scott,

Just wondering, you say that you are not noticing any kernels of unburnt powder in your barrels. I guess I'm wondering if perhaps you are using a heavier charge than I am, or maybe you are using magnum primers? I've never tried magnum primers with 5744.

Smoke Ratchet

#9 ·
with my single shots i get to look through the barrel after every shot, sewer pipe comes to mind as thats exactly what it looks like. accuracy is still good, the only thing is once in a while one of those kernels will find its way into the chamber area and leave dents in the case, that does not bother me and when the sr4759 runs out 5744 is where i will go

#13 ·
I have shot 50 or more pounds of it in my 45-70, it works very well for me. I am not completely convinced those grains are unburnt.Part of the reason for that is the loads are just too accurate to have differences in the amount of powder burnt. I recently put a scope on my Sharps and fired two one hole groups off a bench at a 100 yards. Results like that are much too consistent to have variations in the powder ignition. I have a question for you are you using a heavy crimp? Accurate says in their data for this powder that it requires a heavy crimp.

#14 ·
I have shot 50 or more pounds of it in my 45-70, it works very well for me. I am not completely convinced those grains are unburnt.Part of the reason for that is the loads are just too accurate to have differences in the amount of powder burnt. I recently put a scope on my Sharps and fired two one hole groups off a bench at a 100 yards. Results like that are much too consistent to have variations in the powder ignition. I have a question for you are you using a heavy crimp? Accurate says in their data for this powder that it requires a heavy crimp.
dag,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, on the crimp. I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Maybe I need to crimp them tighter! I know what you mean about maybe those grains are not unburnt. I have thought about that also. Maybe, they are just left over pieces of cellulose tubing after all the powder burns? You would think that if you were going to see any problems, you would have after burning as much of it as you have out of one particular rifle! Thanks again for sharing your experience with 5744. I think I am gonna stop having any concern about it. It certainly is accurate in my cast bullet rifle loads.

Smoke Ratchet

#15 ·
I have never noticed any more unburnt powder when loading AA5744 and most other powders and accuracy is very good in my 45-70 ammo. Now that IMR4759 will be discontinued AA5744 will be the powder I use for reduced rifle loads and the 45-70. I really like IMR4759 and it's a bit more dirty than AA57440.

#16 ·
I get a few unburned kernals, but it still shoots well. According to the folks at Accurate, increased pressure will reduce the amount of unburned kernals, but the unburned powder has no affect on accuracy. 5744 is my go-to for 405 gr cast loads. If it's working well for you I'd say run it and don't worry about anything unburned.
GH1:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.