Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I've got a question for you.

I just bought my first Williams sight. The sales rep down at Williams when I called them told me I needed an FP 94/36 for my Marlin '94 SS, so that's what I ordered from my local gunsmith.

However, getting the sight out of the package and following the directions, I notice the only place the enclosed screw can go is on the side of the receiver where the extractor hole is located (which is not threaded). On the very top of the receiver in a line along the center are what I presume to be four scope screws, two in the rear right in front of the hammer and two in the front of the receiver about where it begins to bevel into the barrel.

Did the Williams rep steer me in the wrong direction and tell me to buy the wrong model?

If that's the case, what would be the proper Williams FP sight for my particular '94?

Any and all pieces of advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Does your rifle have 2 screws on left side of the receiver towards the rear? They will have filler screws in them like the holes on the top of the receiver. They would be right by the place where the extracter is.

What type of sight did they send you? is it the type that fits the side of the receicer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No filler screws whatsoever.

I think the guy screwed up. I was looking in the Williams catalog and it looks like I should have gotten the FP 336 and not the FP 94/36. I think the sales rep must have been new or something and thought the "94" designation referred to the Marlin, when in fact it refers to the Winnie '94.

I'm going to call Williams this morning (assuming they're open on the weekends) and see if I can't just send this sight back to them for a proper replacement.

G

·
Sorry, went back to edit above post but couldn't. To add to what I said above, you'll have to order the one for the 336, but when you mount it, it'll hang off the back slightly. You may have to use a hammer spur with it.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Sounds like the guy sent the wrong one out. You do need the 336 model. It fits the two rear scope mount holes. I have one on my 336CB 38/55 and love it. I had spoke with Marlin about the reason they quit putting the side mount holes on the rifles. They had said that the machine finally wore out after a 100 plus use of use and the coust to replace it was too much. The top mount Williams sights are fine, they are a low profile and look good on the rifle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
24thMich, don't be too hard on the William's rep. The FP-94/36 does indeed fit the older Marlin 1894's and the 'Winnies'. As 'big medicine' stated, the newer Marlin receivers don't have tapped holes on the left side. Exchange your 94/36 sight for the top mount FP-336. I think you'll like it.

Jim H

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
William's does not make a receiver sight to fit the 1894 without factory drilling on the left receiver flat. The FP336 or WGRS sights are made to fit the 336 and will hang off the back of the receiver if installed on the shorter 1894. A picture of the WGRS mounted in the stock 1894 scope holes (not my rifle):

The FP336 will hang off in a similar way.

The WGRS can be made to work by mounting the sight using the front scope mount screw in the rear sight hole and drill and tap for a new front screw location using the sight as a template. I do not know if the FP336 can be made to fit flush in the same fashion. Here is the WGRS installed as above:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well, your current sight can be made to fit in the same way by having the side of the receiver drilled and tapped. Much better anyway.

I can't believe that the cost was too high to continue D&T the side mounts... :roll:

G

·
I spent some time on the phone with both Marlin and Williams. There was a period when the receiver was drilled and tapped with dummy screws. Then they stopped. There was also a time when the 1894 (C in particular) had the serial number on the tang. When both of these conditions were true, Marlin said therey knew of no sight, tang or receiver, that did not require at least one hole to be drilled and tapped.

Enter Williams' quickie solution Item #70282 - Marliln 336 (uses rear scope mount holes) $80.95. According to Williams, Marlin has moved the serial number location to the receiver on "current" production 1894C's. Too late for me.

What I wanted was a tang peep that provided windage adjustment. The best seemed to be Marble. However, I did not want to drill and tap. That set of requirements narrowed it down to Williams sight (above). Mine is backordered now. The Williams guy said that probably three out of four calls/orders are for the Marlin guns.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmmmm...

After this discussion I'm tempted to just keep the FP 94/36 to avoid the overhang (thanks, imashooter2 for uploading the photos! )

Two questions, though:

1) Is the mounting on the side of the receiver as stable as the top mount? The two enclosed screws don't look like they go very deep.

2) What is a reasonable price for drilling and tapping a couple of screw holes on the side of the receiver? I hate to say it 'cause I like the guy, but I'm a bit concerned my local gunsmith could overcharge.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
The side mounting is very stable. You won't have any problems with it at all.

I have no idea what D&T costs these days... I do that sort of thing myself.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I used these sights on many rifles. Currently 4 of my lever guns have them mounted but I've had them on my other, now not mine, levers and NO PROBLEMS.

Heck, I've got them on Contenders, Mausers, what have you. Good sights.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My gunsmith quoted me a price of $40 to do the drill and tap for the mounting screws for the FP 94/36.

Is this reasonable?

Part of me is kind of ticked. The guy screwed up in the first place by ordering me a 5D sight rather than the FP that I asked for, and then when I came in returning the 5D and telling him one more time I wanted the FP 336 (which is the FP for my Marlin 94), he goes ahead and orders me the FP 94/36 instead anyway.

Now he wants $40 for a D&T. :evil:

I had been thinking I'd make do with the 94/36 and actually come out ahead, as this sight doesn't stick out over the end of the receiver like the 336 does on the 94's. I suppose I'll still go ahead with it and then start taking my business elsewhere in the future.

But totally aside from the above rant about this guy, is the $40 a reasonable price?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Drill and Tap Jobs

Hello,
'smith is asking 20.00 per hole and in the event he should break a tap and have to "dig it out..."- his time in doing so is quite a bit and he is covering his possible loss of time in this manner. Seems like a lot, but what takes place with a gunsmith and his work when the customer is not standing around watching him would probably amaze most. In either case, I would not want that sight hanging off the rear of the receiver as shown so either go with it further forward or go for the side mtd. style.
Since you are drilling and tapping anyway, go for the tang sight. Those extra holes are not going to do anything to the value of the gun, but a tang sight would enhance it. Just a suggestion.
dsiteman
favor center!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I find the firesight on-line catalog to be very confusing in establishing which site fits the 1894 Marlin. What is the difference between the FP336 (the one on top of the receiver than now overhangs the back) and the WGRS (which I have no idea how it mounts or what it looks like)?
Can you just buy a separate front firesight or are you relegated to the package with the monstrous thing that bolts onto the side of the receiver. :roll: I'd definitely go with the lower profile FP336 and have the receiver top tapped rather than have that other arrangement hanging off the side of my gun. However, it looks like than I'd have to buy a separate front firesight for the 1894, if they sell it that way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can buy the seperate front site from Williams. When I put the FP94-36 on my Marlin 94 tapped on the side), the fellow advised that I wait and order the front sight seperately. That way, I could tell which one I needed after I had the rear installed. I ended up getting a 290N front for $17.95 plus frt. They will put a yellow insert instead of red if you want. I did and love it.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
longship said:
I find the firesight on-line catalog to be very confusing in establishing which site fits the 1894 Marlin. What is the difference between the FP336 (the one on top of the receiver than now overhangs the back) and the WGRS (which I have no idea how it mounts or what it looks like)?
Can you just buy a separate front firesight or are you relegated to the package with the monstrous thing that bolts onto the side of the receiver. :roll: I'd definitely go with the lower profile FP336 and have the receiver top tapped rather than have that other arrangement hanging off the side of my gun. However, it looks like than I'd have to buy a separate front firesight for the 1894, if they sell it that way.
Williams doesn't make a sight to fit the 1894 without factory drill and tap on the left receiver flat.

The WGRS can be seen in the pictures I posted on the first page of the thread. It attaches in the 2 rear most scope holes on the 336. To get it to fit flush on an 1894 you use the front hole in the rear most scope pair as the screw for the rear sight hole and then drill and tap a new hole in the receiver for the forward sight screw.

You can buy a separate front Firesight. Call Williams at the phone number on the web site and they will be glad to accommodate.

·
Registered
165 Posts
imashooter2 said:
Williams doesn't make a sight to fit the 1894 without factory drill and tap on the left receiver flat.

The WGRS can be seen in the pictures I posted on the first page of the thread. It attaches in the 2 rear most scope holes on the 336. To get it to fit flush on an 1894 you use the front hole in the rear most scope pair as the screw for the rear sight hole and then drill and tap a new hole in the receiver for the forward sight screw.
I'm pretty sure you're mistaken that Marlin doesn't make a sight that fits the 1894 without drilling and tapping.

The WGRS, as shown certainly doesn't fit but the product that is made specifically to fit both the two rear scope mount holes is as follows:
LEVER ACTION FIRE SIGHT PEEP SET
Outfit your Winchester or Marlin centerfire lever action rifle with a new FireSight Steel bead and the ever popular Williams FP94/36 micro adjustable peep sight.

(Fits: Win94 top eject, 55, 63, 64, 65, 94-22; Marlin 36, 336, 1894, 1895SS, 1895G, 444SS, 444P)...Item #70282 - Marliln 336 (uses rear scope mount holes) $80.95
This is a new offering The Marlin representative I spoke with was very clear about the part number and the fact that it fit the 1894's as well as the 336. there's a link to the Williams site in my previous. Follow the links to Rifle Sets and scroll down and you'll see for yourself.

Anyway, I ordered one and it's off backorder now. We'll see and I'll post about it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, the FP 94/36 my local gunsmith just got from Williams directly about a week ago uses two side screws for mounting into the receiver. My 1894 SS doesn't have the holes for the two side screws-- yet (I went ahead and popped for the $40 drill and tap. What the heck, I just want this misadventure behind me so I can get back onto the range!). In the Williams catalog, the 336 is the one listed as being for the Marlin 1894, although the 94/36 used to be the one they had listed for the '94 before Marlin stopped drilling the mounting holes in the side of the receiver. Hoever, the 336 sticks out the back of the '94 in a way that's pretty unsightly and which interferes with your thumb cocking back the hammer without the hammer extension. The bottom line is that Williams doesn't have a decent FP sight for the Marlin '94 anymore that doesn't require drilling and tapping, and has yet to redesign an FP for the '94 that actually fits the rifle the way it's supposed to.

The basic lesson I'm taking away from this is to always go with my first desire and not compromise what I basically want on the basis of economy or somebody else's opinion.

I got the '94 SS as a compromise when I first got into leverguns. My first desire was to buy a '95 CB, but I listened too much to my boss who was utterly insistent that the recoil of the 45-70 was going to be so awful I'd just hate the firearm. I didn't take into account he'd had surgeries on both shoulders and as a result would be recoil-sensitive, and that this would color his advice to me. Now, while I really enjoy my 94 SS and am learning to live with it, I'm going to keep having that "I could have had a V-8" feeling until I finish saving up for my '95 CB.

My second compromise was in going for a Williams FP in the first place and not going for the XS ghost ring sight I'd originally had my eyes on. I was tempted by two things: my gunsmith had some Williams sights on the wall for his paintball sales, so I knew I could buy the Williams sights locally rather than have to purchase an XS over the internet. Secondly, I was thinking I wanted to give the local gunsmith my business to help keep him going. And thirdly, my gunsmith told me the price was a lot less than the XS (and little did I know at the time he was talking about the 5D sight and not the FP sight that I really wanted). So now, as recounted in my previous posts, as a result of my local gunsmith's double screw-up I'm in the position of paying more to have the Williams sight on my levergun than I would have paid had I simply ordered an XS sight off the internet. Once more I'm going to have this "I could have had a V-8" feeling, even though I'm sure I'm going to enjoy looking through the Williams sight once I get it back from the gunsmith (and assuming he doesn't screw up the D & T. I'm beginning to lose confidence in the guy).

Anyway, I learned my lesson: I'm saving up for a '95 CB and am planning on putting an XS sight on it as soon as I buy it! My son (or my daughter) can inherit my '94 SS with the Williams peeper on it as soon as the '95 is in my hot little hands (in about a year I figure)! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts