Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a model 60 and disassembled it to give it a good lube. When disassembling the bolt and inner trigger mechanism came out locked together. I can not find any release to release the two. has anyone had this problem before or have any suggestions on what to do? it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That's a new one on me. I'm even having trouble imagining how that could happen. Please post a picture of what you're talking about.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm wondering if you are referring to the lower action remaining attached to the receiver. There is a plastic pin at the rear that pushes out with finger pressure, then the lower action drops down and can be pulled to the rear to separate. Be sure that the bolt is locked in the open position. The trigger assembly remains in the lower part of the stock when the rifle is disassembled. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
You leave that bolt open then you take a chance on it flying out due to the spring pressure.

Reactions: Eric0424

·
Registered
210 Posts
You leave that bolt open then you take a chance on it flying out due to the spring pressure.
My thoughts exactly, it's why I prefer mine closed. I'm usually taking the bolt assembly out too anyway, so locking it open seems pointless and a bit more dangerous than leaving it closed.

Plus: (quote from Marlin owners manual regarding proper disassembly)

Step #1 — With the safety on SAFE and
the inner magazine tube locked in place,
unload the gun and visually check to be
doubly sure no cartridges remain. Then
close the action completely

·
Registered
35 Posts
I find it easier to get everything apart without things flying around to have the bolt locked open with the bolt handle. I don't want it locked with LSHO however as when the lower action is removed the bolt will slam forward if locked only with LSHO. With the bolt handle locking the bolt open I can simply reach into the receiver after removing the lower action and release the bolt with one hand while guiding the bolt out with the other. Thats why I lock the bolt open. To each his own however, if another way works for you I won't argue the point.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
It's an interesting way of doing it, and if it works then it obviously has merit. I may have to give it a try. It sounds like it has it's advantages.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I find it easier to get everything apart without things flying around to have the bolt locked open with the bolt handle.
There's a difference between arguing and asking a question. Considering my experience with this rifle and the information in the owners manual, it was a valid question. Not sure why things in your rifle would be flying around if you took it down with the bold closed, it's never been a problem on the 60's or 795's I've owned or worked on. But if you had problems taking it apart with the bolt closed then you were right to find a diferent method that worked for you.

I don't think anyone suggested leaving the bolt in the LSHO position.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No, no one suggested leaving anything in LHSO position. But lets get back to jimmyjoshow's question which is what I tried to answer and help on. Anyone got some ideas on his issue?

·
Banned
766 Posts
That's a new one on me. I'm even having trouble imagining how that could happen. Please post a picture of what you're talking about.
Same here. Those two are not mechanically fastened together. The bolt requires effort to remove, while the trigger mech, is just there freely, once the stock is removed. Picture is needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts