Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 1894 .357 carbine from Gander Mountain about two years ago, and since have put several thousand cast lead rounds through it, overall I'm very pleased with it, developed a great cast lead load for it, very accurate and smooth handling.

The other day I was cleaning it, and noted the loading gate had come loose, something inside has broken and the gate just flops around. You can still load and fire the rifle, but something is definately wrong:

I contacted Marlin, described the problem and they sent me free of charge two parts, a spring which looks like an unfinished loading gate, and a small screw. I've never pulled the rilfe apart, and since Gander Mountain offers a five year gaurantee, I'm considering giving the rifle to the the Gander Mountain gunsmith to fix.

Or, I could attempt to pull the rifle apart myself, but having never disasembled any lever rifle, don't know if that is the smart thing to do....

So, give the rifle to an unknown guy at Gander Mountain or tear into it myself?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Check the screw just behind the loading gate and see if it is loose. This is a common problem. I used a little blue locktite on mine and it stays tight now.

·
Premium Member
18,099 Posts
If the screw and the loading gate are still hooked together, you're in luck, just do what TLC said and tighten it up. Once the loading gate falls off the screw and down into the action it can be a bit of a bugger to get back on, even after you pull the bolt and lever. Getting a finger in there to hold things in place can be a pain. :p

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Like the others have said - - if the gate is still attached by the screw - you saved some effort.

That being said, if it is still attached, and you go to snug it up, remember it is a very small screw... A little torque goes a LONG way with that one.

Get too wooly on the screw, and you'll probably be tearing her down to the receiver to replace it. Still only amounts to about a five or ten minute fix if you end up having to take it all apart - - might be a good time to give it a real good cleaning anyhow. ;) ;D

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Do as they said & just tighten the screw. If its all the way off or if you NEED a new gate or screw the easiest thing to do is take the gun apart until you can remove the trigger plate. That way you can get your hand inside to flatten out the spring & get the screw started straight. Its very easy to take a Marlin apart. Look in our refference area and you'll find a writeup with pictures describing taking the 1894C apart.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, friends, just as you said, the screw was loose, I tightened it back up and all is well. I'll get some blue locktight and put on it...

Is this Marlin Forum great or what!!!

Thanks

Canoeguy

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You're welcome. You have just learn a new thing about your rifle. Check that screw regularly, it tends to back out on us.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Just for fun call your local GM. I am under the impression that they fired all of the gunsmiths. Gunsmithing is done at only a couple of select GMs.

Glad YOU were able to fix it. I like happy endings.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I picked up a 1894C dirt cheap once at a pawn shop because the loading gate was loose and jamming up the action. ;D

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Seems to be common. I had same issue on a 336. Tightened up the screw with some lock tight and no problems since...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts