Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning folks,

Wondered if someone could make a suggestion to help solve a problem I've had with reloading lead bullets for my 30-30. Reading Outback's thread reminded me I needed some help.

The specific problem is that when I try to seat the bullets I often get a wrinkled neck. I've adjusted the dickens out of the ball expander, even go a 'cowboy' die, nuthin' seems to be working.

Thanks in advance,

BlueMnt

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I've had the same problem with cast bullets. The neck of the case is too small and part of the bullet gets caught on the edge of the case. Then, when you seat the bullet it pushes down that edge and ruins the case. What I've done is chamfer the case mouth, that seems to let the bullet ease into the case better. Just use a regular case chamfering tool and try not to take too much material off, just enough to let the bullet in.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there BMC -- You may as yet need to fool with the expander die a little more. If you back the truck up completely and pull the expander plug out of your cowboy die (RCBS?), you should see a point above the expander where it starts to flare. You want to adjust this down on your sized case to where it just tips the case mouth out. This should eliminate your problem. The crimping operation should then tuck the case mouth back in against the bullet. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
I had the same problem, and I solved it by getting Lyman M dies. They expand the mouth of the case in a "stepped" fashion so the bullets go into the case straight with no wrinkling in the neck. This is the one you'll need for your .30-30: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=409943

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I use Redding dies and I have never had this problem using Laser Cast Bullets. However in the Laser Cast line, I use their "Tru-Shot" 170 Gr. RNFP GC (gas check) Bullet.

I also use two different seating plugs: One for the RNFP and a different style, provided by Redding) for the Hornady FTX Bullets.

·
Premium Member
12,095 Posts
You can get a flareing die. I have a lee & its got two flareing tips that cover about everythi9ng imaginable. Might be called a neck expanding die.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who replied, those are all great suggestions. Guess I'd better get to it!

I love the MO community! ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts