Marlin Firearms Forum banner

problem feeding rounds into the magazine on new to me 1894c.

958 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  goin camping 
#1 ·
When I push 357 mag rounds into the loading gate on about the forth round they will hang up and no more can be pushed in unless you manipulate the cartridge in your hand to move the cartridge already in the magazine. I partly disassembled the gun where I could see what was causing this and found that the rim on the case that is already in the magazine is hanging up on the left side of the opening in the frame to the mag tub. Seems to me an easy repair would be to bevel or radius the left side of the opening in the frame to where there is not such a sharp edge to catch the rim of the cartridge. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?. Has anyone else in Marlin land experienced this?

#4 ·
When I push 357 mag rounds into the loading gate on about the forth round they will hang up and no more can be pushed in unless you manipulate the cartridge in your hand to move the cartridge already in the magazine. I partly disassembled the gun where I could see what was causing this and found that the rim on the case that is already in the magazine is hanging up on the left side of the opening in the frame to the mag tub. Seems to me an easy repair would be to bevel or radius the left side of the opening in the frame to where there is not such a sharp edge to catch the rim of the cartridge. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?. Has anyone else in Marlin land experienced this?
My standard set of procedures with a new 1894 or new-to-me one is to disassemble the gun and check for burrs and sharp edges. The hole in the frame for the magazine tube is one area as well as the open end of the magazine tube itself. The end of the loading gate has had really sharp burrs on a number of guns, I've had to file them off before stoning, just stoning them didn't do the job. Sharp enough to cut fingers. I use either a machinist's scraper or a stone to deburr, depending on where the area is. Leave the Dremel in the drawer. Usually takes about 20 minutes or so to go through a gun new out of the box. This also allows removal of shipping grease, shavings and other crud, and proper lubrication. The action is pretty simple, few parts, easy to take down. No reason not to get into it. DO use proper-fitting screwdrivers.

Stan S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.