Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just passed on a 2001 Marlin 336W that had been shot only a few times. Came with box and original paprerwork for $350. It wasn't exactly what I wanted but it was a good deal. Hope I'll be happy when I find what I'm looking for. I bought a 3084S a while back and now ready to sell it and get something like a older 336W with walnut and checkering.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Well, if you won't kick yourself, I will. That was a great deal! Even if you didn't need it, it's going to give you a better return on your money than any financial institution can offer. I would go back and get it if still available!:driver:

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
Just so you know--336Ws all have the birch stocks. The 336C/RC/SC/A models have the walnut stocks. Some store versions of the 336 had walnut stocks too--like the Sears Model 45.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I picked up a JM 336CS (checkered walnut stock, 336W = birch stock) recently for $350. It is in fantastic condition, 95%+. Another member here picked up a similar rifle a month or so back for $375. My point is that deals are out there if you are patient. I personally couldn't stomach paying $350-$400 dollars for a used rifle when the same model, brand new, is $370 at Walmart. I know the JM's are more desirable but they aren't rare (at least the W model isn't).

Now if you come across a rifle in good shape and for a price you don't mind paying, go ahead and buy it. Of course if it isn't what you want, you'll probably regret it. I know I'm glad I waited to find the one I wanted, and I passed on a good deal of $350 336Ws while I was searching.

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
Yeah I'm not regretting it. I know I want an older model even a pre safety with walnut.

The deals are out there--I picked up this VG+ 1952 336SC 30-30 waffle top from GB for 450 bucks. Much cheaper than the rust bucket 336C 30-30s in the used racks at my LGSs. Keep looking and you will find that Marlin that speaks to you.

Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Trigger

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
If you are enamored with the '79 Texan--get a Marlin with just one or no barrel bands. They shoot the tighest groups--far better than the standard carbines. I have that one only because its a Texan--and I got it in a trade with no money involved.

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
Hey bassman1--I think I miscounted--did you mean the '81 Glenny 30A? I am actually thinking of selling it--I have too many 30-30s. I don't get back from Afghanistan until July. If you are still looking for a Marlin at that time--let me know. I just want you to understand the Glenny 30As all have birch stocks--but are very good shooters.

Gun Rifle Shooting sport Benchrest shooting Shooting
Wood Hardwood Room Baluster Wood stain

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.