Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Not a fan of the Henry rifles. Seems likely it would be limited to low pressure loads.

Reactions: marlin model 93

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Is it solid brass or brass plated?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Just this Ol'Coot's opinion, but get rid of that method of filling the Mag tube and I might look at a Henry.

I know that system works great on a .22, but I was cured on it many years back with a harder recoiling firearm and once was enough.

Doing away with the side feed is an economic. bottom line motivated move and I won't buy in.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Crusty, do they use the old tube with cut out like the 22's? I have never looked at them. I have a puma 454 that has both methods of loading/unloading and kind of like it. without the king's gate option you are totally disabled whilst reloading. don't buy that. with the gate you are still in action even if having to single load between shots.
funny how every generation has to reinvent the wheel.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
deerstalkert,

In truth I can't answer your question.

Being the Ol'Coot that I am and having that long ago experience with a J.C. Higgins bolt action .410 with the open end tube for loading,
I have ZERO interest of ever getting close to such a situation again.

Especially when Marlins and Winchesters, both of which I have owned, work so well with the side gate loading, and have done so for many years.

Ol'Coots get that way.

I'll gladly let others do the buying and testing and by the time the Henry has or has not been proven, I'll be too old to care anyway.

Crusty opinionated Ol'Coot!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
if'n they built a replica of the 86' Winnie that was as strong with the king's gate loading. I might be interested. as is the only Henry I ever looked at was a brass one years ago and the fit and finish was worse than any Remlin I have seen. looking down the flats of the receiver made me sea sick there was so many waves.
I will stick to Winchesters, marlins, and an occasional Rossi/Puma.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lever action big guns should load from a gate in the side. I also don't like how Henry moved away from the design that their namesake designed fer whinnies. I would have considered a .45/70 Henry but only if I can find one that loads CORRECTLY and has the correct ramp and eject method!!!
I was told that the gate was removed for a stronger receiver, the powder now days will/ might crack at the gate..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Marlins, winnies, and all others don't have that problem. And a lot of the powder is the same today as 50 years ago.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Surprising report as Henry's are well known for High Quality...
as I said the one I looked at was years ago. I am to old now to remember exactly when but it seams like in the late 80's when I had a shop. I have looked at some of the new ones in the last couple of years and they looked better, of course my eyes aren't as good either. nothing against a good American company, I just grew up with Winchester pre64's , Remington mdl 8 and 81's. etc. quality like art.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I think I would pass on a Henry. I'll stick with Marlin. Always fun to look though. Thanks for the Info

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
350 Posts
Surprising report as Henry's are well known for High Quality...
I thought it was the opposite. I'd always thought they were on the bottom end of the quality scale, italian imports aside. Certainly in the 22 lever actions, don't they have a number of plastic parts?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I thought the first lever gun was a Henry and it had the tube load magazine. Maybe I need to do some research. A lot of leverguns today have so called brass recievers like the rossi but its really steel and just brass plated. I have seen some Winnies with steel receivers and brass plating also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts