Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An iconic gun store in our area went out of business and much of their inventory ended up at public auction. There were thousands of items but I didn't see anything that really interested me. Then an addendum sheet came out with all the "good" stuff. There was a single Marlin listed (Model 1897 .22LR) which is the same gun I grew up hunting with; loved that gun but it was pretty worn out when I got it. Today it is pretty much a wall-hanger.

Anyway, I asked to view the gun and was in shock at the near perfect condition of this gun. It looks like the day it came from the factory. I ended up with the winning bid and will pick her up tomorrow. From my research DOM is 1899 (ser. 177138). I have never seen a gun this old in such perfect condition. Any idea what she might be worth? She has the rear tang peep sight just like my old one. Anyway, I am thrilled to own it but almost afraid to touch it let alone shoot her. Also I am at risk of divorce over what I paid for it:)

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
It's worth what you paid for it, whether a hundred bucks or 100,000.00 bucks, it was worth it to you. After all you know what you paid for it right?

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Wow! You come in to MO just a blazing, don't cha? WELCOME!
Can we see it too...about 6 or 8 shots of it:biggrin:?

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is one a cabellas for over $3,000. It's really nice but I don't think they will get that. But if you paid less just tell your wife what a bargain you got.

Reactions: sherkahn49

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is one a cabellas for over $3,000. It's really nice but I don't think they will get that. But if you paid less just tell your wife what a bargain you got.
I WISH I paid less. I am going to pick it up now and will have pictures tomorrow...I hope. Sometimes I fail at computer things:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ok, well I saw an early 39 in mint condition a few months ago at a high end gun show, they were asking $4000 so we won't tell her about Cabellas.

I WISH I paid less. I am going to pick it up now and will have pictures tomorrow...I hope. Sometimes I fail at computer things:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
We need some pictures my man. Factory new condition is always crazy to see.

Here is my Model 1897. Serial number A1. Not sure what that means, but was told it could be a Model 39 Prototype.

DSC00311.JPG DSC00312.JPG DSC00313.JPG

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
MRM....you have a post WW1 Model 97, with a very low serial number.......definitely not a 39 prototype since the 39 was basically a deluxe 1897 without checkering...sorry.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
MRM - As I'm sure you know, standard velocity ammunition only in A1 (what a serial number!). High speed ammuntion can crack the bolt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great gun! My dad just gave me a 1897 Marlin he purchased for $200. Serial number 177001. It is in great shape but needs an ejector according to my gunsmith. I have been unable to locate an ejector. Anyone know where I can get one? My gunsmith said he could machine a replacement but would cost a few hundred. Any help in locating one would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
We do need pictures, detailed ones!:alberteinstein: Lots of them!

Welcome to the forum from Northern Patagonia.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
We do need pictures, detailed ones!:alberteinstein: Lots of them!

Welcome to the forum from Northern Patagonia.
Guessing we'll never see pictures. It's been 3 months and the OP most likely has forgotten he ever started this thread by now.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
He's probably still in the hospital from his wife breaking the buttstock off over his head. She may be in jail for assault with an over paid for model 1897.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Gun buying has always been a very expensive education. Often takes 10 years or longer as in my case, to figure it out.:biggrin:

For Flying B, the pics there earlier, were not all that clear, but I think the gun shown, has hints of the dark blue bolt issue we were discussing.

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
He's probably still in the hospital from his wife breaking the buttstock off over his head. She may be in jail for assault with an over paid for model 1897.
Or he needed a proctologyst. One or the other.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just closed a deal on a 1895 in 40-65 made in 1895 factory fresh .told the wife she replied hope you can get your money back when you go to sell it. I just said i hope so too, sniker, sniker ha ha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts