Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my lgs/ffl buddies recently told me that the reason that primers were not available was because the primer compound came from China. Any kind of truth to that?

jd

·
Super Moderator
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, me too .... even though I know he watches for the black helicopters, I still try to give him the benefit of the doubt (and that's not always easy)

jd

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
I wonder if our gooberment has stopped the sale of rifle primers (small and large) and small pistol to non-gooberment buyers. I've seen CCI large pistol primers available pretty regularly lately, but no small pistol, small rifle or large rifle primers to be found anywhere.

Reactions: PoopDeckPappy

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
When the Obozo Era shortage was here, the primer Mfrs put them all into loaded ammunition until an overage got them back on the shelves again

·
Super Moderator
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, I'm wondering if he was partly right in that there was some particular element in the compound that actually does come from China.

Yep, I know that the primer manufacturers' main objective is to supply the cartridge manufacturers first .... but how's that supply of factory ammo doing?

Just too much going on behind the scenes in all this, and I don't believe it's caused by the major influx of "first time gun owners"!

jd

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
One of my lgs/ffl buddies recently told me that the reason that primers were not available was because the primer compound came from China. Any kind of truth to that?

jd
jd,

Not the first time lgs gossip was less than useful! Been true from when I first worked at one in 1972. Selling all manner of weapons new and used when I had to have a workers permit.

Reactions: ballistics04

·
Registered
197 Posts
Picked up 1300 large rifle primers fed210 this weekend along with 500 fed gm small pistol primers. Local hardware store. No limit but he pile was gone in three days. They still had CCI BR2 but they were 9.99. Too steep for me. The large rifles cost me 5.99 per hundred. Not bad in todays market. I'm set for awhile.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I wonder if our gooberment has stopped the sale of rifle primers (small and large) and small pistol to non-gooberment buyers. I've seen CCI large pistol primers available pretty regularly lately, but no small pistol, small rifle or large rifle primers to be found anywhere.
If you can find Sellier and Ballot primers, the European rifle primers are US Pistol primer depth. The are like a magnum pistol primer with a cap that can handle rifle cartridge pressure.

If, by chance, you are a cast bullet shooter do not overlook Winchester Large Pistol primers for your large primer pocket needs. My best accuracy with BP and smokeless loads are with WLP from 28-30 to 45-100.

Reactions: ballistics04

·
Administrator
28,718 Posts
Utter BS. When the pandemic hit, firearm and ammunition sales surged while manufacturing took a hit due to government mandates imposed upon manufacturers to maintain imposed safety measures. Consequently, production took a big hit and the supply chain became lean to none as sales continued to sky rocket. Supply and demand turned on it's proverbial head, so to speak.

As ammunition manufacturing has attempted to fill the void, what primers were being produced all went to ammunition manufacturers in order to keep their needs met.

Word is that the supply chain is being restored, still has a ways to go to pre-pandemic, but it's improving.

Primers are beginning to become available and should continue to do so.

Jack

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
China may not be entirely responsible, but they do own a large share of it. Most, if not all of the precursor chemicals used in everything, not just primers, comes from China. The US has had previous shortages that impacted pharma.

Reactions: mr surveyor

·
Registered
48 Posts
Utter BS. When the pandemic hit, firearm and ammunition sales surged while manufacturing took a hit due to government mandates imposed upon manufacturers to maintain imposed safety measures. Consequently, production took a big hit and the supply chain became lean to none as sales continued to sky rocket. Supply and demand turned on it proverbial head, so to speak.

As ammunition manufacturing has attempted to fill the void, what primers were being produced all went to ammunition manufacturers in order to keep their needs met.

Word is that the supply chain is being restored, still has a ways to go to pre-pandemic, but it's improving.

Primers are beginning to become available and should continue to do so.

Jack
Don't forget the ongoing worker shortage due to the covid thing. I can't imagine the firearms and ammunition industry was/is immune to the situation of everyone staying home and making more money than going to work.
There for a while too there were "essential" workers and "non-essential" workers. It took a while for my company to get "essential" status and I was out raking in that covid money for almost 2 months. Not gonna lie, unemployment plus covid money plus my union check was pretty good living.

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
Primer shortage but they're still selling powder. If you are quick enough you can get a good compromise powder to hold you over. But I don't see the sense in buying powder without having primers first. If you live in Canada you can buy all the primers you need. I searched online and found a reloading supplier based in Canada but if you try to place an order it will tell you they will not ship to the USA. So why Canada has plenty of primers for sale and the USA has next to nothing? I think the Canadian supplier name is Bullseye.

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
no there is no anything because of the idiot we have living in our white house,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: rob42049

·
Premium Member
12,627 Posts
Primer shortage but they're still selling powder. If you are quick enough you can get a good compromise powder to hold you over. But I don't see the sense in buying powder without having primers first. If you live in Canada you can buy all the primers you need. I searched online and found a reloading supplier based in Canada but if you try to place an order it will tell you they will not ship to the USA. So why Canada has plenty of primers for sale and the USA has next to nothing? I think the Canadian supplier name is Bullseye.
Maybe there are plenty of primers in Canada because they are limited in what guns they can have. There should be a excess of pistol primers and the average citizen is not unloading 30 round magazines of 223.

·
Registered
18 Posts
IF LPP's & LRP's are out there, the only reason SPP's and SRP's aren't is that they are being bought-up by the cartridge manufacturers to produce ammunition faster than they can be made.

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
Last time there were shortages, 2012-2017 it was the HOARDERS. They were buying up the supplies before Joe Average could get any. barry soetoro was in the White House, and he was glad to see the gun owners turn on each other. You can't hoard what isn't for sale, but you can play into the anti-gunners' hands by believing their lies. Divide and conquer. After Donald Trump won the election November 2016, ammunition and reloading supplies magically appeared on retail shelves. Wonder how that happened?

obama is the head of the snake.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Last primers I bought a week ago were 5.99/100. Not the 7.95/100 a month before that. Still not the 3.99/100 but getting better. Probably a dozen cans of different powder when I visited my local sporting goods dealer today. The scalpers might end up being hoarders and when they pass, I might attend the auction.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts