Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , just got another mx ,and yes serial # is 91 but it is a remington and I am just in from shooting it ........ The wood is excellent but heavy .... fit is ok and I had to shim it just with two of the marlin shims from previous guns to boresight it. Well it shot good to excellent action is rough I hope it gets better , I only had time for 16 [email protected] to get it on the straight and arrow as work comes first. 2'' group ,but I ask again A question as I am concerned that my primers were hitting very low again ,is this something to be alarmed about. This goes out to all the guys with good 338 mx's can you tell me if your primers are hitting on centre or off low to the bottom ? I know I am new and it may have been posted ,but I wil continue to purchase and send them back until things are ok , ps my gun broker recognizes my # and I dont care I am sure he is getting tired of ordering and sending back and reordering marlins for me ;)

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
Don't own a 338mx or any of the newer (post Remington buy out) Marlin levers. But I can tell you that in all my older Marlins the firing pin strikes and indents the primer dang near dead center. :eek: ;D

CJ

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
can you post a pic?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have had 2 338's an MX and an XLR, both had barrel droop and both hit the primer way off center. I also have a 308MX it is a 93 serial number and it hits the primer dead center. Does your rifle have "barrel droop"?

Gary

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Most of mine look a little off center, an some look dead center, what does this mean ???

-chris

·
Registered
846 Posts
You know where your firing pin is hitting is not that bad, Mine with the droopy barrel was barely hitting the edge of the primer so yours isn't bad. Dennis

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
The primer strikes look pretty good to me! :D They are not hitting dead center every time, but IMHO that may be due to a little slop in one of the two pieces that make up the two piece firing pin. ;) As long at it goes bang and ejects the empty cases, I wouldn't worry about the primer strikes. Now if it gets worse and starts hitting near the primer edge; then I would get concerned. If that happens I would first get a new one piece firing pin and if that didn't cure it I would be finding a good gunsmith to check out the whole rifle.

CJ

·
Registered
274 Posts
i wouldn't worry about that at all ,your firing pin hole in the bolt may be a little more open but that is nothing to be concerned about
keep shooting ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts