Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What affect would using magnum primers have on regular loads.
IE; 30-30 using IMR4198?

I had a bunch of 30-30 cases primed and prepped. Some were magnum primers some were regular. I kicked over the two compartment tray they were in and they are now all mixed up.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
To be safe you should toss out the batch if you cant sort them somehow. Mag primers will effect the loads considerably. It will boost the pressures, if you are near max you could have catastrophic failure. Not a nice thought so close to the face :shock: . From an accuracy standpoint you'll see a difference as well...even if this were a safe procedure.

I'd toss the mixed up batch for sure. For what......2cents each?

Perferator

·
Registered
154 Posts
RV -

In direct answer to your question: using a mag primer in a 3030 is like adding 2-2.5gr of powder to your loads...

In answer to the implied question (what to do next) - if you haven't loaded powder and bullets: you might see if you can identify which are which by using a flashlight through the case neck - some brands of primers look quite different (and unfortunately many look quite the same). If you can **confidently** identify which 50 are non-mag and which are mag, then sort them and move on. Othewise, you might simply take the 100 out back with your 336, chamber and discharge each... call the oops a $4 mistake and start again. (if you do such, give the barrel a good cleaning afterwards.) If you've loaded powder and bullets - then I'd disassemble the rounds and discharge the primers per above.

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts