Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been handloading for more than 30 years. Up until two years ago, and while shooting thousands of rounds per year, I've never had a failure to fire, not one. In the last two years, I've had four failures where the primer in the failed round appeared to have been struck hard enough to have detonated it. In each case, I tried the failed round a second time in a different firearm and it still would not fire. This has happened with primers from three different manufacturers. If my loading techniques have changed at all, I've become even more particular about methods and details. I'm beginning to believe that quality control among the manufacturers has fallen into the crapper. Does this appear to be the case to anybody else?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I got a batch of Winchester large pistol that had burrs on the edge and would hang up in the primer tubes on my Dillon, but that is my only complaint. The only primers I've ever had fail to ignite were in a 686 that I have a pretty light action job on. That revolver demands Federals and nothing else.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Federal and CCI both make benchrest primers and the quality control is better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts