Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am loading three brands of .30-30 cases (Federal, Remington and Winchester) with CCI 200 primers. The last time I loaded the Remington and Winchester, the same primers were hard to seat, so this time I not only cleaned the pockets but I also reamed them (all three brands though this is the first time the Federals have been reloaded). The primers seated OK in the Federals, they were just a little hard to seat in the Winchesters but EXTREMELY hard to seat in the Remingtons. And the Remingtons were extremely hard to ream. I assume the primer pockets in the Remingtons are smaller. Anyone else have this problem? Or possibly just an odd lot of Remingtons? Are CCI primers possibly a little larger than other brands? (I use CCIs more than any other brand because they are the easiest to find at the local stores.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know. I use all brands of 30/30 brass and primers but have never had one hard to seat. I always clean out primer pockets, but not much, and sure don't ream anything. I come across more RP cases and can get RP 9 1/2 primers a little cheaper so I use more of those but have always used the Winchester large rifle on everything. On one magnum bolt rifle that I load for, the Fed. 215 is still a tight fit when the pocket starts to get loose with other brands. I've always used the little Lee hand primer tool but have just bought the RCBS hand priming tool. I don't know what you are using, but you might try a hand primer tool if you're using your press to seat primers. BM

Bill

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
If you measure the remingtons and find they are small, so be it but remington uses unplated primers which are softer and malleable and makes seating easier. I have used CCIs in all my 30-30 cases with no discernable difference from brand of case. I do try to stay away from reaming primer pockets. I have on some military cases with crimps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts