Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1893 Marlin in 38-55, went out to the range on Wednesday and put 10 rounds through the old girl made in 1902. I was using WW brass and the primer hits were round and very flat and deep covering 2/3 of the primer face, I chocked this up to the Winchester thick brass. Went out to-day with the same load combo using Star Line brass figuring that would solve the issue, no such luck primers look the same. A .379 cast bullet just hardly starts in the fired Star Line case, have a couple bullets cast to .378 and they won't even begin to enter the WW case but will start in the Star Line brass. The primer hit really bothers me as i have never seen a primer hit that way. What do you all think is happening here, have never slugged a chamber before?

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Not too sure about the primer hit. But the starline brass is thinner than the ww. After firing they are the same diameter on the outside. Thus your thin walled starline has more room on the inside.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Sounds like you have a custom firing pin, for some reason. 2/3 of the dia of a large rifle primer is about twice what should be.

Thing is if it goes bang each time?

Seen late model 336CBs that had a small chamber and would not take the WW brass and large dia cast .381 or larger. .379 would work.

The starline brass fixed that problem, some went as far as sending them back and getting their chambers enlarged, my opine back then was a big mistake to do it.

My 336CB I could get away with reseating .379 dia bullets (my groove was tight .3785) and not have to resize the cases if I did not want to.

I at the time had a 1000 .377s which shot as well as the .379 I could not get away without resizing for them. I opted to stick with .379s and sold the last of the .377s to a friend with a .375 Winchester.

Back then before Starline finally made brass they had been promising was to upsize 30-30 leaving a real thin neck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That rifle has seen a lot of history. Back during the depression, people would replace firing pins with filed down nails. Just a thought...

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it fires every time and maybe I am worrying over nothing, it was the strange looking firing pin strike that made me think that to much pressure was causing it. It feeds from the mag fine and ejects fine, now if I could get those 2 tang sight screws out I would mount a Lyman tang sight I have for it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Ned, I hate for you to be so troubled over the primer indentions. Why don't you send the rifle to me and I'll trouble over it. Then you're free to move on to bigger and better things. Once the firing pin is resolved you still have the screws to remove. I fear it is hopeless. PM me for my address. Steve

·
Registered
769 Posts
Can you show us a photo of the primer? A flattened primer is a sign of too much pressure.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JB only to those that have failed at making a living as a stand up comedian. I got a good look at the firing pin and it is as flat as a head of a roofing nail. I guess we will keep on trucking, finally got the 2 tang sight screws out been in there for the last 112 years. Steve old pal I just couldn't saddle you with all the problems of this old girl, it just wouldn't feel right. eh

Reactions: stevewhr

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stevo that was my thoughts also but in this case it is just that funny shaped firing pin head. eh

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Hey NC,

Looks like we both failed jocularity 101. Now, tell me how brand of brass or bullet fit in brass, could have any relationship to firing pin strike.

Did you check the crown?

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought the WW brass didn't give me enough clearance in the chamber and causing excess pressure and so I tried the Starline brass figuring that extra difference in neck thickness would solve the pressure problem, but low and behold there was no excess pressure being created. The funny shaped primer hits were all caused by that flat tipped firing pin strike and not excess chamber pressure. Yes and the crown is fine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.