Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bucket of mixed wheelweights for 40 cents per lb and a 65 lb lead plate for 60 cents per lb at the scrapyard. Cheap or high?

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
When I was a kid in the 50's, Dad would bring lead casing from telephone cable splicing replacements for his bullet stash. Every once in a while, I would haul some to the salvage yard in my red wagon to supplement my root beer stash. It was $1.32/lb back then. Maybe it was 32 cents a pound, really not sure. Seen a lot of root beer since then....

Dad eventually found out, I got a paper route and paid him back....1957

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Sounds like a good price to me, especially if you aren't paying shipping.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Good price... If I can find it out here in Hellifornia they want about $2.00 per pound, I wont pay it and im glad to have the 1100lbs I do have

Doc

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
When I was shooting a smokepole I used roof flashing, had several roofers saving it for me. It had to be cleaned up with some paraffin after it melted but it made great bullets.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good price... If I can find it out here in Hellifornia they want about $2.00 per pound, I wont pay it and im glad to have the 1100lbs I do have

Doc
I heard something that California went lead free on bullets. is that shooting or just buying? I know behind the shop all rules end.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
You cannot hunt in Ca. with lead bullets or even lead core bullets..... If Im going to hunt I wont do it in this state, Why give a bunch of liberal numbnuts money to hunt with over priced bullets?

But I will carry lead boolits in my guns just in case a crazy deer or elk tries to kill me and I have to defend myself!!! :flute:

Doc

·
Registered
938 Posts
I pay up to 20$ for a full 5G pail of WW but just dropped 1.25$ a pound for ingots of WW as I hate smelting. I have 280lb WW in ingots about 150lb in wheel weight form 300lb of range scrap and some pure so im set for awhile :)

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Back of my ranger shipping.
Glad to know my Ranger can handle the lead hauling, from the scrap yard that just told me "Yeah, we sell lead!" :driver:

Reactions: Sweetwater

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Question posed by CJ-5: "An acre of soil one foot deep is over 2000 tons. Wonder how many 200 grain bullets it would take to get a substantial lead contamination?"

Answer: As many as the environmentalists and the EPA think or feel is necessary to determine contamination.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I pay up to 20$ for a full 5G pail of WW but just dropped 1.25$ a pound for ingots of WW as I hate smelting. I have 280lb WW in ingots about 150lb in wheel weight form 300lb of range scrap and some pure so im set for awhile :)
Sounds like you got a good stash going there C.T. I would pay $20 for a full 5 gallon bucket all day long!!! ya cant get that here..

Doc

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I'm getting quoted $60 a 5 gallon bucket, seems high to me. Don't know how many pounds that would be though.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
maybe that aint to bad then.

·
Registered
133 Posts
An acre of soil one foot deep is over 2000 tons. Wonder how many 200 grain bullets it would take to get a substantial lead contamination?
Silly boy, trick question, Don't you know the Condors with eat the bullets before they can sink into the soil. That is what started all that mess :vollkommenauf:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts