Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
I have to travel to whack hogs so don't have this kind of access. I'd like to have a population of hogs to hunt but that is a double edge sword. I hope you find a place to hunt pigs.

TS does have nice deer down there but Iowa is the holly grail of deer hunting. My buddy travels out every few years when he can get a tag. He almost always tags a good one. He hunts public land at times and does very well on that ground. I think he has a lease out there now and pays around 500 for it, but that is split a couple ways. 25/20, do you hunt public land now? Shame on losing the farm, bummer.
V

I have to travel to whack hogs so don't have this kind of access. I'd like to have a population of hogs to hunt but that is a double edge sword. I hope you find a place to hunt pigs.

TS does have nice deer down there but Iowa is the holly grail of deer hunting. My buddy travels out every few years when he can get a tag. He almost always tags a good one. He hunts public land at times and does very well on that ground. I think he has a lease out there now and pays around 500 for it, but that is split a couple ways. 25/20, do you hunt public land now? Shame on losing the farm, bummer.
V
VinceA,

Yes I have hunted public ground.

These bucks were taken on public ground the first year after losing the in-laws farm.

Attachments

I may be the odd duck out, as I am in AR. We have access to about 300 acres that the land owner uses as a very limited deer lease. (about 5 hunters total) We have been on the property for 3 months trying to help get rid of some hogs. Land owner has provided just over a ton of corn (in sacks) a key to his gate and a key to his UTV. He bought horse panels for us to build a 30+ foot corral trap and supplied the t-posts. We have had pics of only 1 hog inside the corral trap, but did not trigger it. Camera card pull last night had a very nice 8 point in the trap, but did not trigger. We have pics of a sounder of up to 14 hogs at 2 feed sites over the past month. We have 4 guys coming from MO this weekend for a hunt. After that, the hogs will be hunted from blinds/stands, called with Convergent E-caller and hunted with thermals.
We are hoping to be able to show the landowner pics of a mess of dead hogs this weekend. That would go a long way in keeping us on the property. One of his deer hunters viewed pics of the sounder of hogs last night and just sat shaking his head. He has hunted the property for about 12 years and saw pics of a big boar on camera within minutes of pics of a big 12 point. This gentleman is the one that originally got us access to the property. He will be an advocate for us in efforts to be able to hunt/trap the property for the long haul.
Instead of a door with a trigger, install a door hinged on one side held closed by a big spring opening toward the inside. The hogs will push it open. Once the hog is in, the door closes. The remaining hogs will continue to push in to the corral until you either run out of room or hogs.

T.S.

Reactions: Ojaileveraction
Distribution

Feral hogs are distributed throughout much of Texas, generally inhabiting the white-tailed deer range, with the highest population densities occurring in East, South and Central Texas. North and West Texas have very low or no populations. However, reports indicate that populations are beginning to expand and increase in these areas. There is currently an estimated population in excess of 1.5 million feral hogs in Texas.
The increase in population and distribution is due in part to intentional releases, improved habitat, increased wildlife management, and improved animal husbandry such as disease eradication, limited natural predators, and high reproductive potential. There seem to be very few inhibiting factors to curtail this population growth and distribution although extreme arid conditions may impede it.

This was pulled from TP&W's website. I've never hunted further west than Crockett county
and we had that lease (2000acres) for 6 years and i never saw one there.
I've hunted out in Llanno county back in the 90's too and we never saw one there either.
The last time i was out there was in 2012 and i did see some tracks and sign,
so things may have changed.
If i was going to come here, i'd try to find something around Burnett, Coryell, Falls/ Willaimson
area...OR, better yet, something along the upper Trinity river, like Navarro, Freestone, or Leon
County (which is where i am).
Cherokee county is covered up with them too.
I pay 500 a year for what I have leased and it's about 500 acres and half is solid woods
and it has flowing spring-fed creeks so they never leave.
But I have access to more that i hunt for nothing, that joins it.
It's not all wine and roses though...they want traps out year round and they want results.
My bill at the feed store for corn is rediculous.
Navajo there here now, but most all are nocturnal, you will see some during the day but more at night.

A lady & her son trap hogs, about three yrs ago her brought the scale ticket for one hog it weighed 697 #'s, I hope she got good money for him as he tore the hell out of her trailer.

Reactions: Texas Shooter
Feral Hogs around here are like fleas on a two dollar dog. I don't know of anyone who leases land to hunt them. Farmers are mostly glad for you to get rid of them if you are willing to make the effort to do so.
I am seeing larger and larger ones in the past two years.
Shot a 450 pounder a few weeks back, and
I have seen a couple that were MUCH larger than that, so I know they are out there.
Hogzilla does exist.

Feral Hogs around here are like fleas on a two dollar dog. I don't know of anyone who leases land to hunt them. Farmers are mostly glad for you to get rid of them if you are willing to make the effort to do so.
I am seeing larger and larger ones in the past two years.
Shot a 450 pounder a few weeks back, and
I have seen a couple that were MUCH larger than that, so I know they are out there.
Hogzilla does exist.
Hook me up brother. My two sons and I want to make a trip somewhere next year to kill a few hogs. We'd be glad to help a farmer out. No hogs yet here in southern Virginia.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.