Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at several of these beautiful Marlins on the gun auction pages. Prices seem to run in the $650-$800 range. Are these fair prices for NIB, unfired rifles? Are the rifles that nice to be worth the price? I'm really considering buying one if they are in fact as good as they look. If I do buy one I plan to shoot it, not make a safe queen out of it. 8)

·
Registered
27 Posts
From a 1999 article

Two years ago Marlin introduced the Model 1897 Century Limited to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the company's first lever-action takedown .22. The rifle featured a gold-plated engraving of John Marlin on one side of the receiver and a gold fox on the other. Other distinctive touches included cut checkering in an 1897-vintage pattern, western-style straight-gripped stock and a 24" half-round, half-octagon barrel. Production was limited to 3,000 units and the rifle was priced at $1,055.

While collectors don't mind shelling out that kind of money, it's more than most plinkers want to pay.

While a few Century Limited Commemoratives are still available, Marlin now offers a slightly plainer, considerably more affordable version of this classic rimfire. The New Model 1897 Cowboy rifle has the same look and feel of the commemorative version, but sports a plain-sided receiver with no engraving or gold inlays.

·
Registered
191 Posts
chuckles

You're right, the Marlin 1897Century Limited is a beautiful gun. Of course, I'm just a little biased on that opinion. I've just recently put a Burris 4-12 X33 scope on mine. I'm having problems downloading pics from my digital camera or I would have posted some new pics with the scope on it.

You're about right on the price range; however, you can usually still find them NIB for around $700. You should also check out http://www.gunsamerica.com They have several listed right now and one of them for $695 NIB. Just do a search on "1897 Century Limited"

In my very biased opinion, the rifles "are that nice" and "worth the price" and I totally agree with you.....if you buy one, buy it to shoot and enjoy and NOT to just put in a gun case!!!.

PA-Joe

FYI.... the 1897 Century Limited came with a pistol grip stock. Also, Marlin is no longer offering the 1897 Cowboy (which does have a western-style straignt-gripped stock). They dropped it from their lign up this year. They do still offer the Golden 39A lever action.

firstshot

·
Registered
78 Posts
firstshot said:
chuckles

In my very biased opinion, the rifles "are that nice" and "worth the price" and I totally agree with you.....if you buy one, buy it to shoot and enjoy and NOT to just put in a gun case!!!.

firstshot
Once again "firstshot" is absolutely correct. After seeing numerous pictures of his 1897CL, I decided to try and find one for myself. I got lucky and found one for sale on a now non-existant forum. I bought it and suffered for a few months as whether to shoot it or not. I finally shot it and I'm not sorry I did. I own shotguns that were FAR more expensive and I don't hesitate to hunt with them. BTW; the 1897CL shoots circles around my 1897T (smaller groups,that is). Buy one, shoot it, and enjoy it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I saw the one on GA for I think $680. Looks pretty good and I might take the plunge. They sure look sweet and if they shoot anywhere near as nice as my 39A, it will be a nice addition. Which one of you guys has the CL with the Marbles Tang peep? I remember seeing the pic a little while back. I would probably want to do that too. I'll keep you posted. Of course sneaking ANOTHER gun by "ole eagle eye" (as I fondly refer to my better half), won't be easy but that one looks to be worth a try. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Firstshot had the Marble's Tang mounted peep sight and a globe front sight with a variety of inserts.

As for getting it past the better half, the appearance of this rifle should help. Around my house anything that is engraved and has gold filling is a shoo-in. If I bring home anything with a synthetic stock and stainless barrel the temperature drops 20 degrees and I look forward to leftovers for a day or two :roll:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Fullchoke said:
Firstshot had the Marble's Tang mounted peep sight and a globe front sight with a variety of inserts.

As for getting it past the better half, the appearance of this rifle should help. Around my house anything that is engraved and has gold filling is a shoo-in. If I bring home anything with a synthetic stock and stainless barrel the temperature drops 20 degrees and I look forward to leftovers for a day or two :roll:
You get leftovers ???? :cry:
L-U-C-K-Y

Ranger

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I sold mine (NIB) to one of our forum members for $550!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Marlinman93 wrote:
I sold mine (NIB) to one of our forum members for $550!
The story of my life! :shock: I'm really looking so if someone hears of a deal, chime in. Couple on GA that I emailed about. Both under $700, NIB.
Looks like a nice rifle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
plinker tom:
Thanks, I got it at the buy it now price of $565. I'm thrilled and will let everyone know when I get it. I can't thank you enough. I was all set to buy one in NY for over a hundred $ more. Thanks again Tom. This one is even close to where I live so the wait shouldn't be unbearable. I have to scare up a FFL dealer to receive the gun though. Can't do that til Monday.
chuckles :D :D :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Chuckles; Outstanding IMO. Congratulations on your purchase. Now the hard part begins. The long wait for shipping. :lol:
I'm the one that bought the 1897CL from Marlinman93. He was good enough to provide UPS tracking number so I could keep up with shipping progress. I had it shipped to my son-in-law's shop about a hundred miles from here. I called my son-in-law the morning of delivery and told him UPS showed the rifle was out for delivery and I was on my way. It seemed like about two week delivery, but it was only a few days. Considering it was half way across the counrty, shipping time wasn't bad at all.

Again, Congratulations. I'm sure you'll be happy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fullchoke

You should have said something, maybe she would have liked this one better.

DG

Fullchoke said:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Smoke; I'm quite sure she would have preferred that one. And had she seen it first, you may have picked up a little extra cash. :lol: Actually I'm very happy with the one I bought. It's a very nice rifle and a good shooter.

Regards,

DW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts