Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to panic when I saw that Dr. A found one in Mo. Well, I called about one down in S. Mo. today and it was still there. Haven't heard the condition as yet, just the price. What is being paid for these guns when you find them? What were the production years? I kind of remember some of the members here thinking that the one on another site was a little high at $300 for the condition a few months ago. A little guidance about the 336A's would be appreciated. [I want them all!] Whoops, did I say that out loud? Oh well, wife already thinks I'm nuts. But what can she say, she owns a horse. Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I honestly looked at 21 guns. All were SC's and C's/ The SC ran 240 max, and the C's ran 150 to 250 dept. on condition. I paid too much, I know, but let go of 300 for my A. The condition was right, so I went for it. Unfortunately, people are realizing the longer barreled 50's (early) are the collectors now. Another A went for 302 on an auction sight, so I felt OK about it. I figured 50 bucks was too little to whine about. Mine is a 51.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Dr. A,

I don't feel sorry for you, I paid $450 for my A only about 3 months ago. The good news is that it is in 97% condition. Too much but it is a beaut.

Lantrad,

Cost is a factor of how badly you want it. If you want it, and as Dr. A said, how much excess cost are you willing to bear to buy it? As a general if a firearm costs in the $250 - $350 range I won't let $50 stand in the way.

The first Marlin 336, .35 was manufactured in 1950. I am honored to have a SC model of this ventage, Ballard rifling, not drilled and tapped in about 95% condition. I have a weakness for the 1/2 and 3/4 mags. Just have a classic look about them.

SS

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Ten years from now you will wish you had bought a semi-truck load at that price. I have a 39M that I bought 10 or so years ago for $165.00 at a gunshow. My friend found it and he was looking for a 39M. $165.00 was the guys bottom dollar and my friend was too cheap to pay it. He just knew he could find one for $5-15.00 dollars cheaper. I told him if he didnt go back and buy it that I was going to. It was a fair price at the time, no steal, no hose job, just a fair price. Needless to say he let $15.00 stand in the way of getting his 39M...and he still doesnt have one. He has offered to by mine a hundred times over. I wish I would have had the money to buy more of them at that price. If you snooze you loose.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I called him back today to learn more. It has a k as the lead # on the serial and said there was a scope rail on it. Sounded like typical wear and tear as far as wood and metal. Won't know more until I see it. He may send it up with a mutual friend in a couple of weeks for me too look at. What year is that. Thanks, Rick P.S. Another buddy seems to think he knows about a 336D nib for $350. Closeout. If it's true, you know where my money will go.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dr. A, I have a '51 model myself. Paid $225 for it last year but don't think its in the shape yours sounds to be. These are right off the neat scale. I wanted an early model with the non-MicroGroove for cast bullets. Was actually trying to find one built in my birth year (48) but couldn't. According to Sidespin, they weren't made until 50 anyway, so I'm glad I settled for this one. Now if I can only find one in 32 Spc.......

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Just got one in 32 Special. Looks to be in good condition, but get this, it has the owners initials carved in it! Gunsmith says its been shot 20 times. No wear, and the blue is faded from closet time. Spent 322 on it as well. So much for the 200 dollar wonders. I (like Sidespin) am willing to pay for that barrel. I also like the fact the barrel band is not present. Got my RCBS mold in and am casting tonight. Won't stop till I have a couple hundred. I am impatiently awaiting its arrival.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts