Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a neighbor and he says he has a .444 in immaculate condition, probably 1970's. He said he doesn't use it anymore, so I was thinking of making him an offer. Can anyone suggest a fair price on it? I don't have any pictures and I haven't seen it yet, but what would be a fair price if it's as pristine as he says it is?

I have a feeling this would turn into more of a collector piece for me since the ammo is too expensive to be a plinker, but I still want to get my hands on a big bore JM Marlin at some point.

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
If it's a 24" barrel and has a monte carlo stock, pay whatever he's asking. :biggrin: I think I paid a little over $500 for my 1970 Centennial 7-8 years ago, but I see them now for $800 & up. If it's a shorter barrel, still try to get it for $500 or $600 if you can. Any Superperformance ammo that might go with it add value, as does a quality scope.

Buy it ans show us the pictures!

·
Super Moderator
23,561 Posts
In my locale--700 bucks at least for a post monte-carlo stock model--more if its mint. A monte-carlo model will run you more moola!

Reactions: jertex

·
Super Moderator
15,155 Posts
You could always offer up.....$444.00 just for old time sakes.:wink: nowadays probably in the 6-7 figures.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Last fall, I paid $560 for my 444s made in '74. It's quite a shooter and now that I own it, I would have paid more if necessary. It depends on how much you can spend and how badly you want it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Offer him 400 dollars. If he says no, offer him some more. That is the offer I would start with, cause you never know, you might get lucky. I did when I got mine. Actually got it for under 400. And you are correct, 444 ammo is expensive. I know, but I reload for mine. Good luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You have plenty of pricing suggestions so here is my 2 cents worth. That gun will never be made by the original "Marlin Company" again. Even if you give him a few hundred dollars more you will have it and I won't. Believe me that there are plenty of people out there that will outbid you if they could get their hands on it. I say don't let it slip away if you can possibly get it. If it happens to have a Leupold scope on it that even adds too the deal, as it is warranted for life so you basically have a brand new Leupold when or if something goes wrong with it. Even if it is not a Leupold you still have the base and rings. Get it if you can!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts