Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need some of your expert advice on a 1975 model 45/70 I found. Still has sticker on the forearm. Will it shoot the hotter loads like the guide gun? And also what would be a fair price? He is asking 700 but said their is some room in price. This is the pre cross bolt safety model. Thanks in advance, David.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I gave 400 for mine maybe a year and a half ago. Mine is a 76

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plumber, Thanks for the response, so I guess he is on the high side in price. Just spoke to him and he said bottom dollar was 600. I dont see many pre cross bolt safety in my area at all. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
I do not know a lot about the 1895 model, but I have two one with the cross bolt safty and one with out. The newer one was under $600.00 bought in 2009. The other is a "B" series and older sometime in the 70's I think. Paid just over $600.00 about six weeks ago. If it's clean and you like it, I go for it at $600.00 My older one will not cycle the Hornady 45-70 LeverEvolution rounds with the FTX bullet.

P.S. it was made in 1972 BO serial number and Ballard rifeling.

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
If you go by gunbroker and many do these days, for a gun as clean as you are talking about $600. would be a very good deal and at the bottom of the price range. If I was in the market to buy a 45-70 and there was one from 1975 that looked new I would be all over it for $600.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
The follower can be changed or worked on to work with the horndy ammo. Yep I was looking at some prices on gun broker as well. looks like these days thats what your going to have to pay for a good one. Sounds like you have found a good one too. I messed around and put a longer mag tube on mine. I really like the way it turned out Holds 7 now

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I wouldn't quibble over price very long. If its in great shape and you want the gun, $600 is at least the going rate, or higher.

Model 1895 chambered in 45-70 Pre Cross-bolt safety rifles don't come along all that often.

If you don't want it, I'll buy it. Nuff said?

Mike T.

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Plumbernater, nice looking 45-70 and great condition. Does not seem like 1976 was that long ago, but its going on 40 years!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yep seems like time has a way of slipping away before you know it.

Reactions: dhansen

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Going to meet with him tomorrow and purchase rifle. Just in time to, Mazer is coming sat and stretch that cowboys legs a little. Gonna be a good day. I will get him to show me how to post pics here, and post some pics of new rifle as well as some I already have.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Good move and one you will look back on as one of the best deals you ever made. eh

Reactions: Oregon Stihl

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Good luck with the deal, the early 1895s are special, I owned one and sold it to buy a bolt, a foolish temporary trist with velocity.... Fortunately opportunity presented itself and I was able to purchase another "B" and make a bad decision right. She's a beauty and an effective elk rifle!
I hope you are not tired of seeing her.

james

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The follower can be changed or worked on to work with the horndy ammo. Yep I was looking at some prices on gun broker as well. looks like these days thats what your going to have to pay for a good one. Sounds like you have found a good one too. I messed around and put a longer mag tube on mine. I really like the way it turned out Holds 7 now

Good lookin setup! :congrats:

Reactions: plumbernater

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I don't think I would quibble over that price too much. If it is in like new condition and I wanted it I'd buy it. Somebody is going to jump on it if you don't.

·
Registered
168 Posts
picketpin
Nice rifle. I have one like that, my main northwoods deer gun. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. Nice refinish on the stocks also.

barracudadave67

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I got her home, great shape. I am very happy with her so far. I know photos right? Hold your taters, mazer will be here tomorrow to help me post photos. There will be lead flying tomorrow lol. Maybe we can post a range report? Oh yeah, and by the way. you all get enabler points. 3 each lol. Thanks for the great advice.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
That's great news! What did you end up paying for that nice piece??

Mike T.

Reactions: 475linebaugh

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike I paid 550, He dropped 50 because I had to wait so long. I was not going to argue with that. Shes a beauty with sticker still on forearm. I cant wait to open her up tomorrow on the range. I also found out that he is a long time collector of marlins, and he is going to sell a few more. I am first in line, HOTDOG. He has several 39 a 444, 357, and 32-20 and one 38-55 he is going to put up. I know there are a couple there I will purchase. I feel like I won the powerball jackpot.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Wow, that $700 price tag quickly went down, didn't it? Aren't you glad you followed up on it quickly before someone beat you to the punch? The man who hesitates is lost. When the opportunity comes along, you have to have CASH so you can POUNCE!

Awesome deal! I love it when a plan comes together!!

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Picketpin:

Thats a fine looking rifle and a hardy animal you harvested!

Fill the freeze with some ELK, yum yum!

Mike T.

Reactions: picketpin
1 - 20 of 22 Posts