Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello group,
I just purchased a 336 in 35 Remington and had read that the brass was hard to come by. I bought 100 pcs (2 50 pc bags) of Norma Brass at Midway just to get started. Midsouth also has it for about the same price, also Norma.
As it happens, my LGS just bought out a bunch of reloading equipment and components from a fella and had two unopened 100 pc boxes of Winchester brass for $60 each.

My question is if this is a good price or should I start watching for once fired.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
I have bought new and 1X fired 35 Rem brass for less money. I would pass for now......

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
I have bought Hornady brass in the past mostly because that was what was available. I haven't had any issues with it so far.

Reactions: CWT

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Another question

How long does the average case last? I have loaded a lot of other cartridges over the years and never lost many cases other shooting High Power.

How many cases would be a reasonable supply. I tend to get more than I need of some stuff...................

·
Super Moderator
12,709 Posts
Another question

How long does the average case lase. I have loaded a lot of other cartridges over the years and never lost many cases other shooting High Power.

How many cases would be a reasonable supply. I tend to get more than I need of some stuff...................
Case life is dependent on the load and how you process the brass such as whether or not you neck size vs full length resize, if you anneal the brass etc.

A 'reasonable' amount is very subjective but for me the minimum is usually 250 pieces depending on caliber.

·
Premium Member
10,571 Posts
I went to a junk auction the other day, they had about 400 primed cases! and a 100 or so that need to be primed. a man there said he was going to bid on them and get them and cut them up to make some kind of jewelry! guess what, they are not cut up and they are not hanging on someone's neck. they are out in my loading room in line to do what they were intended to do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had until now tried to buy calibers that I could make the brass for like 243, 7-08, 308, 358 all made from 308 brass and 30 Herrett, 357 Herret, 7 -30 waters and 30-30 from 30-30 brass. I had tons (ok, many pounds) of 30-30 & 308 brass

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will swing by the LGS and make an offer on the two boxes. If I get them, I will have 300 to work with and can keep an eye out for more. Hard to believe how many people still do not reload. I can collect a bunch of 30-30, 308, and 30-06 brass here by policing the range the couple weeks before deer season.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Norma is 1st class stuff. I have found in order Win-Fed- Rem my pick if buying new brass. To me not much difference between Win
& Fed. Remington brass , I don't get as many loadings out of. My 35s are FLS because I have several rifles in 35. I don't let any deals
go by, but I have a couple hundred new Win brass, several hundred 1x and over 1k in state between 2x &5x. A lot of 35 deer hunters
dont load, one box guys. I know quite a few and they save brass for me.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yes, Look for deals. New and once fired. The way I see it a good supply of 35 rem brass new or used is money in the bank. :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
12,709 Posts
I know what you mean about policing the range for brass. I usually show up and scrounge brass for an hour before I set up and start shooting. I clean up and sell much of this but it usually pays for my gas there and back.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I just buy the bullets and shoot them and then use the brass. I will do that before I will spend almost as much buying brass.
:dito::dito:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just buy the bullets and shoot them and then use the brass. I will do that before I will spend almost as much buying brass.
I did the math on that one ..over and over and it is not even close. I cast my own, shoot into a trap and recover every bullet, recast shooting the same lead over and over, the case initially costs .60 but if you get 10 loadings it goes to 6 cents. So 3 cent primer plus 10 cents powder plus 6 cents case and free bullets equals $.19 per round vs $1.60 min factory

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good news. I dropped in at the LGS just before they were closing and they took an offer of $45 per hundred. The problem is that while I was there they directed me to their lever gun rack and it was full of marlins in 35 rem, no 30-30's at all. Oldest was a 'P' model,1957? and several JM stamped in the 80's up to 2000. All priced the same . Dang, now I am going back tomorrow with a bore light

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.