Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember when the President promised to fix the VA, and help we veterans with getting medical help outside of the VA if he was elected? Well, he did it.

I was informed last week that my mechanical aortic heart valve that was implanted 9 years ago inside my aortic artery has gone bad. It was supposed to last 20+ years but looks like it didn't quite make it. So, now I know why I can't walk ten feet without hitting the Symbacort inhaler.

I visited my VA team and asked what my options are.

The Cardiologist at our VA Clinic just quit, and left a lot of vets in the lurch, so they told me I could opt to use the Choice Program. I didn't know what it is, so they told me to pick a hospital of my choice, and they will make arrangements to have my heart valve replaced, and the cost is no more than my co-pay is normally by the VA.

They have already 'fastracked' the schedule, and I will be hearing from them on Tuesday to let me know when I can expect to have it done.

I broke my glasses the other morning getting out of bed. I had a scheduled VA medical appointment anyway, so I thought I'd see if they could schedule me to get a replacement pair. I got to the VA early for my scheduled appointment, and went right over to the eye clinic, walked in and asked for an Optometry appointment.

The girl took my glasses, found the exact same model frame as my VA-issued glasses, switched out the lenses, and I was out in less than five minutes. BTW, Thank you for your service, she said.

The night before that, one of my hearing aids went on the fritz. It simply stopped working.

After I got my glasses replaced, and before I went to my scheduled Neurology appointment, I stoped at the Audiology Clinic to make an appointment to get my hearing aids fixed. I figured they would have to schedule me, but the girl at the check-in counter, slipped me in without an appointment. I was running out of time, so I told her I wouldn't be able to wait much longer, so she said for me to come back after my scheduled appointment, which took about 45 minutes, and when I got to the counter, she had my hearing aids repaired and waiting.

Thanks, President Trump, you kept your word. And then some.

Gr8rtst.

·
Registered
21,237 Posts
Sounds like you're gettin' treated like you SHOULD HAVE gotten treated all along!

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I really appreciate the information. I have neglected going to the VA for many reasons but now may be an option. Thanks also to Mr. Trump. He is like the Energizer Bunny. Any man that can take the abuse and being a target of the left and the media and still do his best to live up to his promises reminds me of some of the Presidents that some of you don't remember.

·
Super Moderator
11,176 Posts
Wow---Good that they got you processed fast. If I were you I would investigate what brand valve implant you had and see if you have legal recourse because it failed at half life and that kind of operation is a high risk type of procedure. It may be a defective valve was used and there was others that failed----maybe even a recall on it but it was not made public because the company knew it was defective.

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Yeah, it's amazing, I remember all the members here fighting tooth and nail against Mr. Trump. They said what a sorry president he would be. Some even did a so-called protest vote for Johnson. In other words, the voted for Hillary in a roundabout way. I even got a mark on this forum against me for a comment I made towards a member, "I was wrong" but I wonder where all the Trump haters are at now! They are silent...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Well, I'm glad for you, especially with the valve deal, unfortunately here in S.C., things haven't changed one bit, and I really understand why some of the guy's "go off". After my last little experience, which is too long to type out, after I came home without even seeing anyone, some lady called me, to which I replied, "Lady, I know you don't even deserve to hear this", but I wouldn't come back down there if the VA sent a limo with a driver to my front door!!! And, just like MO, I didn't use any cuss words, (expletives), because, even though I'm satisfied with my vocabulary, I DEFINITELY LOVE, to insert "expletives" to drive my personal point HOME!!! " And, "that's all I got to say about that". T Rex

·
Registered
25,115 Posts
Wow---Good that they got you processed fast. If I were you I would investigate what brand valve implant you had and see if you have legal recourse because it failed at half-life and that kind of operation is a high-risk type of procedure. It may be a defective valve was used and there were others that failed----maybe even a recall on it but it was not made public because the company knew it was defective.
Thanks for that heads-up.

It never occurred to me about the potential for liability for defective heart valve implants, or any sort of recall for same.

I'll let the wife sniff this one out. Once she sinks he Greek teeth in, she doesn't let go too easily.

On the other hand, I hope it wasn't because of defects in engineering - lots of others out there with the same valve, I'm sure.

Thanks, again, Cowboy23*.

Gr8rtst.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
25,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm certain the fixes to the VA care system have been bubbling for so long, it isn't going to be an easy fix. Deep state imbeds come to mind. Enything to see President Trump fail.

I'm sorry for those of you who have had bad experiences; that doesn't help, but I believe he is the first President who truly is trying to right the wrongs. The last President we got stuck with never lifted a finger to do anything for veterans, and he gets a pass. No blame - it's all Trump's fault that things aren't perfect overnight.

I've had a couple of occasions where I had problems with some of the care I received, and I made a stink, and they responded. My wife did not think the doctor who was handling my seizure medication was listening to her, (my wife) so she demanded a new doctor and they made the change.

I regularly have my blood checked, monthly because I am on Coumadin.

Before I started to use the VA back in 2008, I had to pay $50+ dollars out-of-pocket, each time I had to have an INR blood thickness test. Now, my co-pay takes care of it and isn't even on my radar.

You should see how many folks are there every day for that treatment.

Overall, they have given me good care. I've been a patient in several VA hospitals over the last 10 years, since my medical insurance ended with my retirement, and I now I can elect to use the Choice Program, and they gave me my choice of hospitals - no limit.

Coincidentally, a new hospital is opening this fall less than a mile from my home, but I can't wait that long.

The people at the VA here treat all of is well, hope it changes for you.

Gr8rtst.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Its nice to get good news for a change. The cockroaches that run the cesspool in Washington DC like business as usual.That's why they hate President Trump. I would suggest that people write a letter to the editor of their local news rag and let them know the VA is working better now. Its been long overdue!

Mike T.

·
Registered
25,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
To update the situation, I heard yesterday from the provider for my heart valve replacement surgery is that I will get a call about the time for my surgery, and then all I have to do is show up at the hospital and it will be done.

Again, thank you Mr. President for keeping your word, and thanks to the VA for following through, as well.

Gr8rtst.

·
Registered
28,629 Posts
To update the situation, I heard yesterday from the provider for my heart valve replacement surgery is that I will get a call about the time for my surgery, and then all I have to do is show up at the hospital and it will be done.

Again, thank you, Mr. President, for keeping your word, and thanks to the VA for following through, as well.

Gr8rtst.
Speedy recovery and remember to VOTE.

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
I really understand why some of the guy's "go off".
Y'all need to find and watch an old movie "Article 99". Great flick

Reactions: gunscrewguy
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.