Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be taking my .308 MX on a spring pig hunt in Texas, so it was about time to get the Marlin in fighting trim...I wanted another scope, and I needed to do some field fire after zeroing. I also hadn't gotten around to adding the buttcuff Leatherman made for me. I replaced the 2-7X with a Leupold 4X; I got better optical quality and longer eye relief. Here's my rifle, zeroed for 200 yds (target was fired at 100 yds) and ready to go.
Bob

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Looks good! Should put some meat on the grill :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Looks good!..how do you like the 4x overall...do you wish you still had the low end magnification or the high for more distance

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Looks ready to me. I didn't think these words would ever come out of my mouth but... Nice Buttcuff :D

Post some pics of your results, we want to see your (and the 308MX) handiwork.

-chris

·
Registered
20,684 Posts
Man, thats one sharp lookin pig killer!

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Nice shooting. I can't see a target at 100 yards with a 4X scope, so I always go with either a 2-7 or a 3-9. Lots easier for me to see!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I just noticed your CBS is AWOL ;) ;D

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, the CBS isn't "AWOL", but on terminal leave. I like the 4X; I had no trouble grouping at 100 and 200 yards. I don't consider this rifle a 400 yard gun. Besides, 4X worked fine "back in the day" on the .270 and the '06. I think the simplicity and optical quality of the Leupold 4X make up for any lack of versatility that I may be losing. I've always used variables, so I'll keep the forum posted on my fixed power findings (with photos) after the hunt.
Bob

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Here piggy piggy piggy. You are all set to go. I'm gonna have to find a place to go hog hunting, none around here in Montana. I find a 2.5 power is very usable out past 100 yd for hunting, farther for bigger game, and agree that 4 power was good enough for 300 yd shots not so long ago. Good shooting. DP

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Three_oh_8MX said:
Looks ready to me. I didn't think these words would ever come out of my mouth but... Nice Buttcuff :D

Post some pics of your results, we want to see your (and the 308MX) handiwork.

-chris
dang!! the way you say "nice buttcuff" makes it sound like it arrived in a plain brown wrapper with a "to be opened by Adults over 18 only " warning...from one of those "special" catalogs ;) ;D ..you naughty old dog !!

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts