Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I told myself at last year's HappenZ I'd be better prepared next year but we all know what happenz to the best laid plans.

That said, I got two days for load development this week -- first day was with the 32-40 (so-so) and the 38-55 (much better).
Second day was this morning before granddaughter-duty started, this time with the 32-20 and 45-70.
I can’t say I have my loads down for all four of them but what I have is likely what I’ll load since the schedule does not afford much time before July.

I thought I might improve on the 2400 load from last year for the 32-40. Especially since I still can’t get my 50yd groups under 1.5”. Kind of frustrating. I thought 14gr of 4198 might do it but not quite. This 2400 load edged it out a smidgeon.

Tile Wall Room Architecture Flooring

The 38-55, my newest 'old gun', made my liver quiver, not once but twice. Thought I had my load with 20gr of 4198 without any question but now I think I may bring an ammo box with a load of 4189 and another with a load of 4227 ('thank you' Smithywess for the prompting and Green Lizzard for the throat).
Tile Design Pattern Room Square

Tile Design Room Pattern Square

The 45-70 load is Unique. Surprised me that this load, worked up in my 16.5” STBL, did just as well, maybe even better, in my longer barreled Cowboy. I still have hopes of trying a slower powder but time is not likely my friend here.

Tile Room Flooring Rectangle Square

The 32-20 is another frustration because I read where so many are putting them one on top of the other and I just don’t do that. This one is a reline too, so the bore is no excuse for me at all. This is another one I have not got much under 1.5” in a ten shot group.
Tile Square Pattern Rectangle

All in all I think I'm getting luckier than I have a right to expect.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Looks like those U-Pick dingers better skeedaddle if they know what's good for them!

:)

B

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Last time out I tried a 38-55 load from the lyman book. Recipe called for 375449 checked bullet using 3031 and lyman #2. Excellent 50 yard accuracy, best I've found so far. Going to see if I can wring a tad better out of it, sure doesn't need much. Then I'm going to try it in the 375 see if it won't show some of the same.

·
Registered
990 Posts
SgtDog,
Nice to see you getting ready for HappenZ! I am looking forward to it also. Dang, the 38-55 groups are looking pretty special. I also use 4198 or 4227 for my 30-30 loads when I need a little stouter load for like knock'n down that 200 yd ram. For me the 4198 shoots a little tighter groups and 4227 is a close second. I stumbled on both them during the recent hard times, it seemed like they were always available.

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey John,

Some fine shooting.

If you want a bit more recoil in your 45/70 loads, go with 30 to 32 gr of 4198 (either one). Slight preference for the "H" type.

You may try 24 to 25 gr of 2400 (in your 45/70) as well. (some rifles really "like" 2400).

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ron, The way you characterize the 4198 and 4227 is spot-on with my impressions, both from what I read and from what I've shot... close second. Over on the ASSRA boards I saw several mentions of the 4227 and that is what prompted me to give it a try in the 32-40. I expanded to the 38-55 on account of that and glad I did. I have a canister of 3031 but for some reason have shot very little of that powder.

Steve, I just wish my May/November migration schedule and pocketbook had room for another adventure further South. Maybe we could grab a cup of coffee in May – and November, before and after the fear epidemic.

Green Lizzard, Really, from the Prince of Plain Base? That got a “ha ha” out of me, . First thought: When was the last time you put a gas check on crooked – Your aversion to gas checks and what I’ve seen you do with plain base has me thinking those copper discs don’t afford you many excuses. I’m thinking JB’s excuse is gonna be a better bet for you.

Mark, I never look for more recoil but I take all comers with load data. Thanks for your suggestions! Shenandoah’s data figured in on that 38-55, as did GL’s. But Smithywess’ load is what this rifle liked. Actually just went and looked and I have ‘thumbs-up’ notes next to 23 and 24.5gr of 2400 and I have some data for 30gr of 4198. But all are out of the 16.5” STBL. Got to do some repeat with those three and this rifle. Also found I’d done considerable with the 4759 a while back but never touched on Green Lizzard’s load – so those three powders may get a try next week when I have to draw the line and load what I’m taking.

eirmort, Thank you kindly... course these were obviously my best out of a whole slew of targets.

If I don’t get over to the HappenZ on the 17th or 18th then Wind is gonna have to suffer with me on some other weekend. Right now, mediation with the Railroad is scheduled for that week and I'm hoping it concludes quickly. Yikes!!!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Well "John Boy", I'll start off by saying you've been in my prayers concerning the mediation with the Railroad. Second, you have no reason to worry about being ready to fend off those "killer" dingers. They'll have no chance, for sure. In fact, I doubt they'll even be able to shoot back if you are that effective at the range! (of course, you might remain slightly leary of those danged peeps.) :biggrin: You've done some mighty nice work figuring out those loads. Wish I could be as effective with mine.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
SgtDog0311 those groups look pretty good to me! Getting ready to head to the Sagebrush I would imagine you are using iron sights? Well if not then disregard this post!:biggrin: If so you may have noticed some things I have about irons. It doesn't take much of a front sight to completely cover an 8" bullseye even at 50 yards. There is a larger margin of error with irons than a scope when it comes to trying to put all the shots in one hole. I have gone with the 6 oclock hold on my round bullseye low enough to put a little of the white back ground between the top of the sight and the bull. I believe I am getting a more consistent aim point that way. My eyes are old so getting a good focus on the front sight has much to do with brightness of the day and whether I am under the roof at the range. Of course the more light the better....for me anyway. Point i'm trying to make.... as I can ramble on for a while with all the variables is... even though one thinks they are aiming at the same point every time you could be off just a smidge which works out to be quite a bit on a target 50 yards away. Even with peeps the more I shoot the more consistent I get. Maybe your loads are fine? Remember your not using a scope for load development....or are you?

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there John -- Looks like you're closing in on it! It'll be fun to see how they fly here at the U-Pick Sagebrush Ranch. And just for the record... JBledsoe has it correct. Flyers are caused by bugs. I got off the trigger just in time or this would have been a real mess. Might have bounced a bullet off and hit my truck!!

View attachment 102067

Best regards. Wind

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.