Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll bet I'm not the only Marlin owner who thinks the modern stocks are too fat, the checkering a little tacky, and the buttplates too modern for a levergun with an octagon bbl. Brownell's has wood from Precision Gunstocks which is preshaped and inletted for the 1894 and 336, and they carry a crescent buttplate to match the inletting.

With very little effort your can open up the inletting for a very good wood to metal fit. The forend can be sanded down to duplicate the forends that Marlin used 100 yrs ago. The buttstock requires a little more art
to get all the 3 demensional shape of the old stocks, but with just a little sanding it looks better than the overweight stock from the factory.

Wood is not fancy--just nice straight grain quartersawed walnut. I think the improvement is well worth the cost--about $130 plus shipping--and the labor to replace the stock and buttplate and finish the new one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My only gripe with my 1894CBC is the butt plate. It's molded plastic with very dull checkering that slips off the shoulder way too easily.
I'm going to take a look, but finding wood that fits the cap style forend on an 1894 is hard.
I would love to have a real crescent butt plate.
If you felt like posting a pic I sure would appreciate it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Likewise for me. I dislike Marlin's plastic buttplate and would much rather have a crescent curve with metal buttplate. Thanks. It seems they didn't

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
"Fat" stocks

Sounds like there's a greater dislike for the current shape stocks than I thought. I thought it was just me. A coworker just bought an 1895G cheap and, on a whim, decided he didn't like the looks. He brought it to me a couple of days ago, and wants me to "backdate" about a hundred years or so. I have added a full length mag tube and spring, safety replacement plug, and have modified the stocks to resemble those of an 1893 I have here. As soon as I get the stocks final shaped, I am going to use them as masters and have them duplicated in fancy walnut, and am going scrounging at the gun show this weekend to find period correct sights.......It looks pretty rough at the moment, but even rough as it is, it looks MUCH better with the old-style slimmer stocks on it. And, of course, we had to add a crescent butt plate. I haven't figured out how to swap the round bolt for a square one, so I guess he'll have to live with that one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts