Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got me a double disk kit for my Lee press--(powder thru expander die)----combo I was using was for 16.3 g----2400 powder---(no where near a max load just target stuff)---bout every 4th or 5th cartridge powder thrown would be 16.4 g powder-----got me to wondering bout how exacting a precise measure do folks do??-----I did carefully remove powder to make em ALL have 16.3 g powder--but .1 g powder couldn't have much effect on performance or could it???

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I have to admit, I don't know if 0.1 gr is enough to make a difference in a rifle cartridge... mainly because I've never loaded rifle cartridges with that sort of variation.

Don't really know why, but I've always loaded rifle cartridges one at a time, and weighed every powder charge to the 0.1 gr. I use a measure or dipper to get close, then trickle to get the exact charge I'm looking for. I guess I don't load and shoot that many rifle cartridges that I find this a chore, only about 500 /year.

Pistol cartridges are another animal. I load 9 mm and 45 ACP rounds on a Dillon by the thousand each year, having set the powder charge to an appropriate load a couple of tenths below maximum. 44 mag plinking loads are loaded the same way, by the hundred with dropped charges from a powder measure. My 44 Mag hunting loads, however, I load and shoot as if they were rifle cartridges, carefully and one at a time.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
.1 isn't going to make a difference for target loads. The only time I worry about exact measurements is when loading .308 500 yard loads or when loading max.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well all those Manuel powder throwers always did make me nervous using them . .1 grains isn't such to be worried about so much , I agree with most , but I've seen most of them throw quite a bit over that , and quite a bit under that . But if your a perfectionists , like I am , I wanta SEE in black and White what that charge is , Everyone of them" , I don't care What case I'm loading .

Always hated all them Slow beam scales also , because I'm am a perfectionists... take's Toooo much of my time powder charging cases . So I bought one of the first New RCBS Automatic Digital powder throwers when they first came out on the market . Own two of them now .... use one for shotgun loads , the other for metallic loads on a different bench , and I know those thrower's are Pretty accurate ....+ or - .1 % and there the fastest type scale to use if you check each load like I do .... That just my opinion , and the way I do thing's , and I'm sure other's will have there own opinions on what they use , do or think .... so choose your own method :tee:

Magnum6

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
My BIL is a perfectionist and he measures and weighs the powder for every round no matter what he's loading. He wants to get a progressive loader and when he does I want to see how many times he stops and measures powder loads. I'm thinking it'll drive him nuts.

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
If you're sweating .1 grain powder charge,then you need to weigh each bullet,test each case for capacity,and measure the average brissance of that lot of primers. Oh yeah,forgot to take into account that canister powder is a blend and varies from lot to lot.
Rest easy. You'll be OK.

Rob

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
My BIL is a perfectionist and he measures and weighs the powder for every round no matter what he's loading. He wants to get a progressive loader and when he does I want to see how many times he stops and measures powder loads. I'm thinking it'll drive him nuts.
Yeah your probably right , if he that way , It'll Surely drive him nut's not seeing how much that thing is dropping :biggrin: I use to have a culpa different progressive machine's set up , for a cupola my pistol loads , but ever now and then I would see one here or there , before it seated the bullet , that was a tad over or under , and That use to make me so dang nervis , I finely just done away with um both . Finely" sold um both to a fellow at the range about two years down the road .... I was just never comfortable using those machines , cause I was always worried about over charging those two High $ S&W pistols I have so I just quit messing with them , and decided to just use one die in each of my single stage presses out of the set .... one in each press .

Takes me a Lot longer doing it that way , but stopped me from being nervous about it anyhow . When I'm loading ammo , I do each step separately anyhow .... 50 or a 100 in a block at a time and I can see real close what's going on in each stage , and I'm comfortable doing it that way , and so That way I do it that way . But everybody has there own thought's and methods how they wanta do something , I guess , I know I do . I don't even use the shot and powder bottles on my shotgun loaders , for the same reason's .... there Funkie set up and I don't trust the Shot Or The powder charge bars on the presses , so I tore those bottles and charge bars , plum Off those two loaders I use , and measure the shot and powder separately in 50 or 100 lot trays so I can See those drops down in those shells , before I crimp um shut .... It's just the way this ole Codger does it :biggrin:... Those loaders I use are Mec Jr's . and I hate those hard to slide back and forth charge bars they have on um.... Pain in the rear , so I use my RCBS Automatic digital powder thrower to powder charge the shell's and a small dipper and the digital scale to weigh out the shot in each shell ....

Magnum

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
If you're sweating .1 grain powder charge,then you need to weigh each bullet,test each case for capacity,and measure the average brissance of that lot of primers. Oh yeah,forgot to take into account that canister powder is a blend and varies from lot to lot.
Rest easy. You'll be OK.

Rob
RE:.... My Own Quote...From above .... That just my opinion , and the way I do thing's , and I'm sure other's will have there own opinions on what they use , do or think .... so choose your own method :tee:

Magnum

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
Being anal retentive isn't a bad thing, and for certain things can be good. As stated above we all have our personal methods. I don't sweat a + or - .1gr. variation unless I'm at near max loads for small capacity cases, (less than 5grs.) but I seldom ever crowd that line , and don't play the +P game with my small handguns.

For those who use Lee powder through dies, it is wise to take them apart and wipe All the lubrication off them before using them, powder will stick to the lube causing varying drops. If you are worried about wearing your die out, use some graphite (pencil lead, just rub the moving surfaces with a pencil) to lube the moving parts before the first run, after that the powder dust will provide enough lube to keep everything working fine. I discoverd this lesson the hard way on a pro 1000, after having excess powder dropping into my primer feed and restriting primer flow.

·
Registered
142 Posts
dld, Back in the seventies I got started shooting jacketed bullet benchrest matches . Every competitor was loading at the range and nobody was using a powder scale. Simple hand dies to neck size and decap and wilson chamber type seating dies. powder charging was done with a measure, usually a Lyman 55 with a Culver micrometer conversion or a B&M visible measure. AT that time winning aggs were usually.2-.25 moa. I haven't worried about .1 gr powder charge variation since.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
As mentioned above the weight of the bullet, brass not to mention concentricity and neck tension will likely show up before that .1gr will.
And did we mention ambiet temperature?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like I was thinking ---middle o road target loads ya'd never see any difference that .1g or .2 g would make----max. powder loads might be a different animal----it is good that inexpensive ole Lee disc system can be so consistent as to throwing same charge weight over & over---(using right powder--for me N100 & Trail Boss varied too much even for cowboy loads have to do them differently! The cowboy loads I only weigh powder charge every 10th or so cartridge------these rifle target rounds I been loading been trying to wring the most accuracy & consistency I can outa them----may be getting a little too picky!!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
bench rest shooters hardly ever weigh every charge of powder, it is measured by volume not weight. when i can that is the only way i measure powder. i use two vintage belding & mull measures. and i have 3 or 4 rcbs uniflows and two 1940s seaco measures.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
910 Posts
when testing loads in .3 grain steps over a chrony i noticed that shot to shot spreads were the same as the spreads between different loads of the last step (overlap), that being said i still like them close. i dont weigh fine grain stuff like 2400 or ball powders

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I use 2 scales. First is a digital auto dispenser dumps the load, then I dump it into another digital scale (that one always read .1 higher). Then if they both agree, I dump it into the case and seat the bullet. All happens while the dispenser is dumping the next load. I can't see how one tenth either way could make a difference in a short to moderate distance levergun cartridge. However I've had to reduce or increase a load by .2, to get the same results, when opening a can from a different lot number .

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I use a RCBS 5-10 (I think) some thirty years old. Once I throw a few rounds and establish rhythm, I can usually throw something like a near max for .30-06 size cases within a 1/10 grain. Loads like that, I weigh. Something like 8 grains of Unique in a .44Special cases, I check the first ones with a scale and when they become consistent, I weigh one every so often.

I doubt that factories weigh them either.

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
in my natural progression of things, the powder goes from the Uniflow to the scale, everytime, and that tells me if I'm getting bridging in the Uniflow or any other anomaly going on - time is something I may more of than fingers and eyes. I usually throw light and trickle up, but ball powders run so smooth I set it on and it stays on. Flake powders in light charges are all over the place and stick powders are horrendous. I think the Lyman 55 is a better unit than the RCBS Uniflow, but the only one I had was given to a friend who has since passed away. His brother came to reclaim "his reloading outfit" and figured it was his - oh well.....

Jeff

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
bench rest shooters hardly ever weigh every charge of powder, it is measured by volume not weight.
Factory ammo uses powder charges metered by volume, not weight, and most of their ammo produces extreme spreads measured in single digits. You have nothing to worry about unless you're already at the ragged edge of safety.

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
Factory ammo uses powder charges metered by volume, not weight, and most of their ammo produces extreme spreads measured in single digits. You have nothing to worry about unless you're already at the ragged edge of safety.
and the factories and bench rest shooters have years and years of perfecting the method in which they measure by volume. A far cry from the occasional home handloader who hasn't figured out that there is a method to it. Just one more aspect of handloading best left to others who do it more and I've gone over 50 years and way past 50,000 rounds - still don't like measuring by volume except for ball powders. As stated, just my comfort zone.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 28 Posts