Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, very beginning of the war to be more exact, 1943. It's 16 gauge, the right gauge, and long long ago someone added a poly-choke which is fine by me as they are most excellent in the field. It has some finger prints in the pic, as I couldn't wait to photograph it, but the blueing is deep and good, wood is perfect, the wood finish is next to perfect too. I haven't weighed it yet, but I'm guessing between 6 and 6.5 pounds with its hollowed out stock, standard back in the day. She's a joy to shoot too. This one was worth the layaway wait!

Oh, and the mag tube has no full lines from being pumped, and the slide arm only has a small spot of finish wear. These old prewars differ from their newer brethren by: a different stock checkering pattern, smaller checkered fore end, polished top of the receiver instead of the mat that appeared after the war, and a higher level of polishing with a deeper blue. The metal feels like glass on these when you touch it. I've wanted one forever, I can't wait to get this one in the dove field.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
That's a sweetie!!

Reactions: Colonel26

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
I picked up a beat-to-heck 20" (or so) 37 featherlite a few years ago. Absolutely love it!

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
I have owned an older featherweight myself.Foolishly, I let it get away.
Now I get to enjoy another older but goodie.My 1921 savage pump.This was the first produced savage pump shotgun.It was designed around the Winchester model 12.This was savage's gun built to compete with the Winchester beauty.this gun is all original and every bit the shotgun as the Winchester.All machined steel,and I love a tang mounted safety on my shotguns.That is just where they belong.That shotgun of yours is a beauty! and I share your passion for the oldies.I would not trade this old savage for a new one today! DSCF2906.JPG DSCF2907.JPG DSCF2908.JPG j

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just don't do this with it:

There's so much wrong with that video, I don't know where to begin. Oh lord, maybe he'll win a Darwin award.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked up a beat-to-heck 20" (or so) 37 featherlite a few years ago. Absolutely love it!
That sounds like a real nice quail gun right there.

Reactions: njcioffi

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have owned an older featherweight myself.Foolishly, I let it get away.
Now I get to enjoy another older but goodie.My 1921 savage pump.This was the first produced savage pump shotgun.It was designed around the Winchester model 12.This was savage's gun built to compete with the Winchester beauty.this gun is all original and every bit the shotgun as the Winchester.All machined steel,and I love a tang mounted safety on my shotguns.That is just where they belong.That shotgun of yours is a beauty! and I share your passion for the oldies.I would not trade this old savage for a new one today! View attachment 107423 View attachment 107424 View attachment 107425 j
Nice old Savage. I'd tell you how many model 37's I have, but you'd think me off my rocker. I absolutely love them. And I agree with you. I wouldn't trade my old classic pumps for any new wonder gun made out if recycled coke cans and Tupperware.

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Well, mine ain't nearly as pretty as yours. In fact, it looks like it might have gone for a swim or two LOL. But it carries and shoots wonderfully!

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Very nice. Those older one's are getting harder and harder to find. The 37 is my favorite pump shotgun and I currently have three. A 20 ga Ultra Light with full choke, 20 ga Deerslayer, and a 12 ga Deerslayer all from the early to mid 70's. Ithaca's are the only pump shotguns I look at when I cruise the used gun racks.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Congrats on a sweet lookin' shooter!

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
IMHO, The best pump shotgun ever made ! I have a 16 ga. and my wife has a 20 ga. Deerslayer. Despite current affairs, NYS can be proud of it's firearms manufacturing history !

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree about the best pump made. If you've ever shot one at feathered flying creatures or bounding bunnies you understand. I've owned and hunted with other brands, and while nice, more than any other am Ithaca 37 becomes a part of you. They're what old London best gun makers called dynamic in their handling.

And of you've ever taken one apart you'll be amazed at their simplicity. There just anything there that is unnecessary. They are simplicity personified.

Reactions: njcioffi
1 - 16 of 16 Posts