Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a 45-70 1895 today that appears to have ballard rifling instead of micro-groove. Has serial # starting with "B" and 4 digit number starting with 3. Seems to be in very good condition. Any idea as to when this might have been made? I've heard the ballard rifling handles cast bullets well, does anyone have experience using copper jacketed bullets in this type? Thanks, RP

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
It will shoot jacketed bullets just fine. I normally run hard cast 405gr in mine, but I shoot a lot and am cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
RLPMD said:
Found a 45-70 1895 today that appears to have ballard rifling instead of micro-groove. Has serial # starting with "B" and 4 digit number starting with 3. Seems to be in very good condition. Any idea as to when this might have been made? I've heard the ballard rifling handles cast bullets well, does anyone have experience using copper jacketed bullets in this type? Thanks, RP
The vintage should be about 1972.I recently purchased a B prefix ,4 digit starting with 2. So far I love it.Had it about 6 weeks.Enjoy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts