Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I find the "cut-off date" or serial number of when Marlin Mod. 336 rifles became Remington mfg.?
I have a Marlin on my bucket list, but want a pre Remington one. Thanks for directing me to the answer...

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
To have a real Marlin made the "Marlin Way", you need to look for one built before 2009. In 2009, the assembly process went from individual gunsmiths to an Assembly Cell. The rifle you choose also needs to have the "JM" proof mark on the left side of the barrel. remington is playing with serial numbers now, and they are not "intelligent" numbers now.............but that's to be expected, based on those involved.

Another safe way to go is, only look at marlins with roll marked numbers...NOT laser etched numbers. The laser marking went on line in 2009 too.......

Tom

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was wondering about the rifles being built now also. Are the new Marlins that are on the market now, do they have the serial numbers on the side of the receiver? I have seen a couple of the boxes the rifles come in, and the first two letters are MR. Is this another way to tell the new rifles? Thanks.RAy

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
All the MR senial number prefix stamps/etchings designate Remington manufacture guns.

Tomray: On the assembly process changes you noted that are applicable to 2009 guns; was this transition made during the year so that some of 2009 gun production was done under the original "gunsmith" format; or is the "cell" assembly process applicable to all 2009 production?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ratchethead, thanks for the answer. Also the question you asked is interesting. I haven't been on this forum along time, but I have learned alot. When I bought my Marlin 444 a few months ago, the serial number was the first thing I looked at. Mine was made in 2005....Thanks again..Ray

·
Super Moderator
15,821 Posts
Rachethead, you raise a good question, I'm hoping and speculating perhaps it was a combo as my 45/70CB is a 91=2009, but other than the action not feeling very smooth the rifle is flawless, I have since done some polishing and have NO complaints. :D Mr fixit

Add to say that although I really can't make out the JM, it's the only proof mark...NO REP!

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Bigman2 said:
I was wondering about the rifles being built now also. Are the new Marlins that are on the market now, do they have the serial numbers on the side of the receiver? I have seen a couple of the boxes the rifles come in, and the first two letters are MR. Is this another way to tell the new rifles? Thanks.RAy
Ray,
Yes, MR rifles are remington...........

Tom

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Rachethead said:
All the MR senial number prefix stamps/etchings designate Remington manufacture guns.

Tomray: On the assembly process changes you noted that are applicable to 2009 guns; was this transition made during the year so that some of 2009 gun production was done under the original "gunsmith" format; or is the "cell" assembly process applicable to all 2009 production?
RH,

That change to a Assembly Cell occurred in early 2009 if I recall.............

Tom

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
So then, some of the "91" prefix model Marlins were indeed made "the old fashioned way"? My "91" prefix 338MX is an excellent rifle and has a low serial number, 91000966; were frames numbered in a numeral sequence beginning at #1 and moving upwards towards infinity so that a low number denotes early production in the old numbering system? Do you have any idea as to where serial numbers stood when Remington switched to the "cell" production method?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Rachethead said:
So then, some of the "91" prefix model Marlins were indeed made "the old fashioned way"? My "91" prefix 338MX is an excellent rifle and has a low serial number, 91000966; were frames numbered in a numeral sequence beginning at #1 and moving upwards towards infinity so that a low number denotes early production in the old numbering system? Do you have any idea as to where serial numbers stood when Remington switched to the "cell" production method?
Re: numbers...........No Idea...........

Re: "91"xxxxx guns............again, No Idea.....But I'd tend to think they were ALL cell guns...I recall ALL the 338's were Cell guns.........We were all too busy trying to make the rem clowns happy, at that point, to remember dates and ocurrances such as things were moving really fast then............More Charts and Graphs and Dog and Pony Shows ...............I'm told they were still using "91" marked receivers in 2010 and maybe later........We did build them a huge surplus of receivers and barrels, hence the North Haven roll marks.
Tom

·
Registered
75 Posts
Tomray, thank you for answering my question, and the one posted by RH. I have 7 different Marlin rifles, all were built during the 70's and earlier, except for the Marlin 444. I am not sure if I will ever buy one of the new rifles, but that is just me...Again Thanks....Ray

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Thanks TR; all that is good information to know. I guess I got lucky with my 338MX; maybe it was still built by real gunsmiths before things went completely sour, as I can tell no difference between the quality of that gun and my 2007 vintage 308MX.

·
Registered
274 Posts
the 92xx i am getting also has the ser# on the tang not the reciever ,when did they do this change and why?

·
Super Moderator
15,821 Posts
Don't quote me on this, seems I read they were concerned about the tang mounted numbers and people were having issues of mounting a tang sight there without ruining the numbers. Sounds logical...........In my opinion though, IT is cheaper to run everything through the laser and call it good. Mr fixit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts