Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,794 Posts
My first bike was a '71 Bonneville 650. First year oil-in-frame bike,and the seat was too high up for my young ass. Some engineer in Coventry designed the the bike for tall riders. Had to tiptoe. It had a right foot 4 speed shift,one down and 3 up with a left foot brake. I threw the Amals in a bucket and put dual 34mm Mikunis on her. Nice and fast,loud,and she leaked. True love.

I built a Harley at the same time and it had a left foot shift,one up and 3 down with a right foot brake. After a while,I got brain lock at stoplights and downshifted or slammed on the brake when trying to shift,depending on which bike I was riding and got momentarily braindead. Sold the Bonnie in '84,and I'm still riding the same Harley.

No pix of the Triumph,but out for a ride one day took we a detour,and my youngest daughter was conceived while enjoying a picnic lunch in the timber. I still have that daughter,but not posting her pic,either.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've owned a 1968 Triumph Tiger and a 1971 Tiger. I've ridden a Norton Commando and a Triumph Trident that were owned by friends back in the 70's. The old Brit bikes just had something about them that the Japanese bikes never had. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they were better than the Japanese machines they just had more character.
Sure had their quirks to like leaking oil and gas as well as unreliable electrics.
Anybody remember these old sayings?

Know why the British like warm beer? Because their refrigerators are made by Lucas.

Joseph Lucas invented darkness (manufacturer of electrical components)

If there isn't a puddle of oil under your bike in the morning you'd best check the oil

The British should not be trusted with liquids (gasoline or oil because it always leaked out)

·
Premium Member
10,575 Posts
yes I remember when thy roamed the earth. as kids growing up we called them "tramps",,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
19,794 Posts
I built a real nice '47 Flathead chopper to sell. It was a purely commercial project. I wound up riding it for 5 years because it was so unique. Those old 74 cubic inch Flatheads sounded different than any other Harley. I sold it to a guy I knew and doubled my money. Shoulda kept it.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Chopper

Got a parking ticket downtown one morning,and the meter lady wrote it up as a Triumph. I want to Court and plead 'Not Guilty",showed the Judge the registration. It wasn't a Triumph. The Judge wasn't having any of it,and made me pay the ticket. Dang it!!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I built a real nice '47 Flathead chopper to sell. It was a purely commercial project. I wound up riding it for 5 years because it was so unique. Those old 74 cubic inch Flatheads sounded different than any other Harley. I sold it to a guy I knew and doubled my money. Shoulda kept it.

View attachment 722042

Got a parking ticket downtown one morning,and the meter lady wrote it up as a Triumph. I want to Court and plead 'Not Guilty",showed the Judge the registration. It wasn't a Triumph. The Judge wasn't having any of it,and made me pay the ticket. Dang it!!
Was that a 74ci or a 80ci always wanted a 80ci ULH or a Knucklehead. I've had a K model,Panhead,2 shovelheads,2 ironhead sportster's and a 1200XLR Sportster

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.