Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today with the 308 MXLR and the 450 XLR, did some scope swapping over the weekend and wanted to sight them in. Lately I've been doing quite a bit of practice shooting with a 22 and 223 trying to work on things like controlled breathing and squeezing the trigger smoothly, they don't kick and like most everyone you can usually shoot some tight groups.

Well I've had a problem flinching right before the 450 goes boom, but today i was able to apply the things I've been practicing with the 450 and it has paid off.

100 yd.JPG

The four shots at the bottom of the middle target told me I was going to have a good day sighting her in, made a small elevation adjustment and fired the fifth round which was just above the bulls eye. Another adjustment and fired away, 3" high at 100 yards which is perfect for the 325 grain gummy. Next I loaded one of my 365 grain Hornady Custom FP, trying to save these, and fired my last shot at the upper left hand target. About 2" high at 100 yards, perfect for this load.

I'm pretty excited about the 450's accuracy and that I was able to overcome the flinch which is most likely just fear but i'd never admit that.

Now i didn't do quite as well with the 308, put that's what keeps me going back.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never started a thread without receiving some sort of response so i guess I'll answer my own if only to increased my post count, here goes.

I noticed three other holes to the right have been covered, whats up with those? Adjusting elevation on the 308, trying to bring them up because i was aiming at the top right hand target and she was way off. I think the glue holding the scope base mount in place is giving way. Might try epoxy.

Well if you've been practicing and this is an improvement you must have really been a bad shot to begin with because that's not sub MOA. Yep I don't shot worth a darn and never sub moa. Most of the time i have trouble hitting the paper and been thinking about using much bigger targets or getting closer. I just like the smell of burnt gunpowder.

Don't you know your thread sucks and that's why no responses? Well dang it, i hit the darn paper and felt like bragging but yep, the thread sucks and is stupid. oh well.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I haven't tried any gummy tips in my 1895. Figured I would just shoot lead but I do sometimes wonder how those gummy tips perform.

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Thread didn't suck. You just covered it so well, there wasn't much left to say. :biggrin:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, with the 450 i did have a big problem anticipating the boom and recoil and would yank the trigger, flinch and pull my head away to avoid the scope sore eye issue. So i was pleasantly surprised with the results from the range outing and overcoming some bad habits and not to mention it's a hell of a lot easier to find bullet holes when you actually hit the target.

fishkat

Reactions: miket156

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It took me a while to get used to the recoil on the 450 also.

Very good shooting!

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Normally I bring a 30-30 to the range and start with that. If I want to practice with a big bore I do it after I have been warmed up on a low recoil rifle. Its probably a natural reaction to start flinching after you've fired off a few rounds on a big bore.

Mike T.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts