Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
many years ago, there was an old garage next door to my house. there was no house, just a garage. i should say that it was most of a garage as the windows were knocked out.

inside this garage was a lot of junk. i never saw anybody around the place for years.

one day this feller shows up. he starts loading a truck up with this junk. i was curious about who the person might be. he turned out to be from about mid-state wisconsin. apparently, he had inherited the mess and had come to see what was worth having.

after a while, he comes over and says he has a deal for me. from out of the mess he had pulled an old 14 ft. run about boat and on the back of it was attached a 35 horse johnson outboard. would i be interested in buying it?

i had no interest at all in the boat. that outboard, in my eyes, had to be worth something. it was about a 1960 model. so i eased on over there and gave it a look see.

the boat was in awful shape! the only saving grace was that the controls were still there. i had no need for the boat as it was not suitable for fishing.

so, at last, i got to what really interested me. the motor! i looked it over. it was plenty dirty but the paint looked good. i grabbed the pull rope and gave a pull. the motor turned over. it wasn't froze up! ok......

how much?????? $75.

of course i didn't blink. sold!

a friend and i started working on the thing the next day.

we sanded, we painted and we cleaned on that boat for about a week and a half. we finally got it to look .....decent at best.

the motor was a differant story. it would not fire. we cleaned that thing up and put new plugs, points and coils in it. that's when we realized it was not that easy to pull over. it had a compression realease to help start the thing but it still was not easy.

with lots of fooling around we finally got it started. oh-yeah!!

we hooked up all the control cables and down to the lake we go! we got it into the water and fired it up. off we went!!! i could swin faster than the thing would go. the engine refused to wind up. dejected, we headed back for the launch.

we finally figured out that the rubber hub inside the prop was rotted and spun.

i took the prop to the local prop shop and they pressed in a brand new hub and shined up the brass prop to a blinding shine.

all this had taken several weeks now. i was pretty disapointed that the boat and motor was still not operational. i also had put considerable more money in the outfit than the cost of it!

i calls my buddy up and back to the lake we go. we hook everything up in a big hurry. this sucker is surely gonna go now!!! we might be barefoot water skiin all over this lake!!

with the boat in the water, my buddy says he will just wait at the dock this time. of course this will make the boat lighter and faster.....oh yeah!!

now this old boat had only throttle controls. all new boats have a kill switch where the driver can reach over handy as you please and stop the engine cold. this old relic had one too. it was on the engine. the engine was way back there and one had to climb over seats to get at it.

we forgot the oars so i figured to idle back in as close as i could get to shore and be close enough to coast in when i came back.

off i went. that baby reached plane speed right off!!! wwhhhoooo hoooooo! around our small lake i raced with a big grin on my face. i had her going full out and that heavy glass boat was riding smooth...

i made the circle and figured to go back in and pick up my buddy. he had helped a lot and certainly deserved to drive the boat around the lake a time or two. i went just roostertailin around the last turn and headed straight for the dock. i saw my partner standing right in the middle of the rock ramp grinnin at me.

i pointed it straight at the ramp and kept the throttle pegged. since i had no oars, i figured to get in close at high speed , cut throttle at the last moment and slide the boat right in close to the ramp.

the ramp was getting closer and the ground was really coming up fast. i slapped down the throttle.........the control cable popped off the engine back there. nothing happened!! oh ***##***!!! i certainly did not slow down any!!!

in desperation, i tried to slap the thing into neutral. that did not happen either! the thing has a safety to keep knottheads from blowing up engines doing just that!

kill switch!!!!!!!!! oops!

next i looked up, i saw my partner trying frantically to wave me off. i thought that was quite funny since i had got to just yards from the launch in that length of time and was plumb out of options!

he had an amazed look on his face when i went up the ramp and passed him on my way across that parking lot and hit the fence. he ran up and hit the kill switch for me. hey,at least it worked.

we dry land trailered the boat...since it was pretty far from any water. the boat bottom was also in need of a paint touch up.

the outfit went in the paper for sale the next week! i had no real use for it. i found out that nobody wanted a 35 hp. motor without an eeeeelectric starter. it went begging for $150. whoopee......

i don't go out on the lake anymore without oars....

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
you didn't need oars you needed roller skates attached to the keel.

·
Registered
356 Posts
At least it wasn't a creek! :lol:

As always - great story!

·
Registered
729 Posts
FAMOUS LAST WORDS-HEY YA-ALL, WATCH THIS. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
158 Posts