Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While Im waiting for my PP books to arrive, Im checking out molds, and like everything else, they are hard to find.
Over at BACO they have two, their flat base, and RCBS cone base.
It seems Paul Jones and others are no longer on the net.

Cant even find folks here selling any, whats a new PP dude to do?

Im looking for a .452, seems both at BACO are .451, my Buff Classic has shallow (button cut) rifling, Im figuring I will need a tight fit.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Pard: Paul Jones retired. No sure of Hoch will cut a custom paper patch mould. http://hochmoulds.com/

Are you going to load with Smokeless or Black Powder (BP)?

If you are going to load with Smokeless, I suggest discussing what you want to do with the mould makes.

Have never tried PP with Smokeless and do not know of anyone who does or tried. I have been paper patching with lead and Black powder for about four years now and have some experience.

Also might be a good idea to find out the bore and groove diameter of the rifling and have this information for the mould maker.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just holy black, for now. got cans of 3f, just sittin around. When I first tried BP cartridges, I had the wrong boolit, just figured that out.

It seems all these guys listed that make PP molds want info to make them, that I have no idea what they are talking about.

More research is needed.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Please check your PM's.

What information do the mould makers want that you are unfamiliar with?

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
netd you a PM, thanks for the great info.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Accurate Molds: Custom Bullet Molds

He has tons of designs, both for black and smokeless powder.

Do you have paper? Get that first, it will determine what size bullet you need. Proper patching paper isn't the easiest thing to find any more. 8#-9# onionskin, 25%+ cotton content, is what generally works the best for BP patching. I like 15# green bar printer paper for patching with smokeless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts