Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to shoot my PP for the first time. The double wrap unsized ones shot the best. 1.5" @ 50yds. Gives me something to work toward. If I can get 1.5" @ 100yds, watchout deer. I was starting with a modest load of Re7 and I'm going to bump it up to 1700-1800fps and check it out. My 405 @ 1800 is all I want for recoil. Getting old or smarter, maybe just older. Thanks for all the good info here. Love them big holes downrange and when they touch. Idahojoe

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Good job! 8) 8) Nothing better than to cast and patch your own along with the results on paper. I have had great results with PPB's and I'm in awe with them. I don't understand why more people do not use them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got 1.75" group @ 100yds today. I'm going to work on that. That will make meat in the brush. What I am doing wrong, getting unburned powder left in the barrel? Is my starting load 35g of Re-7 too light? Do I need mag primers? Thanks for your help. IJ

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Mag primer probably would not hurt to try, but remember that you should reduce your load 10% when trying this especially if it is a hot load, if not I wouldn't worry and you stated that this was only a modest load. PPB's are cool and great results can be attained with them. 8) 8) 8) When casting and patching your own you have your own quality control and the best bullets can be made and with these conditions your accuracy will be best. ;)

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Outfitter said:
Great to see that you're liking PPB and getting good results with them. What mold are you using and is it a PB design?
Not sure what Idahojoe uses, but I use regular bullet molds with the grease grooves in them and I have had better than good results with them. More like fantastic. 8) 8) Do you make PPB's?

·
Registered
784 Posts
yea I made probably 2500 PPB last winter and I've never had any desire to use anything other than grease groove or Lee tumble lube boolits. Last year I got 2 ,50 gr. ,.225 TLC molds from Ranch Dog, and PP they are just kickin my butt .Everything else is working great especially a 200 TLC I got from Ranch Dog for my 338 MXLR PP W/ 9# onion I'm at 2470 fps and very good accuracy. Seems like you're casting for a 338 WM , are you PPing for it with what boolit and results?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Outfitter said:
yea I made probably 2500 PPB last winter and I've never had any desire to use anything other than grease groove or Lee tumble lube boolits. Last year I got 2 ,50 gr. ,.225 TLC molds from Ranch Dog, and PP they are just kickin my butt .Everything else is working great especially a 200 TLC I got from Ranch Dog for my 338 MXLR PP W/ 9# onion I'm at 2470 fps and very good accuracy. Seems like you're casting for a 338 WM , are you PPing for it with what boolit and results?
I have patched for the 338WM with a Lee 220gr bullet and I had some great accuracy but did have one flier that I have been in question of. I have not doubt that I missed a bad bullet and accidentally wrapped it and shot it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
l've got that lee 220 mold also but never PP it before and this 200 RD mold is quite accurate but l think l'll maybe run it 150 fps faster when l get a chance and see how it reacts. After the PD season l may look into this .How fast are you pushin that 220 out of your WM ? What hardness?

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I had very hard lead that I wanted for penetration, plus being driven fast it still mushrooms. Was not too hard as it could shatter but harder than what I would want at BP speeds. I will look in my shop and see what I wrote down. Not sure what velocity I was getting but believe it was around 2100 to 2200FPS. The load is very promising and I need to get back in to PP but have been totally swamped with projects and work. I need to try the 7x57 and the 30-06 as I believe the would be great calibers to test PPB's

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm using Lee 340 FN & dbl wrap with tracing paper, lubing with sizing lube, JPW & bee's wax mix. I'm running them unsized .463.
Worked the trigger over and should help my group. Going to try 405 HP if I can get the hp to cast right, otherwise going to take the hollow pnt plug off.
Hopefully get to try some of the ones i've bumped the charge up and used mag primers. IJ

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Idahojoe said:
I'm using Lee 340 FN & dbl wrap with tracing paper, lubing with sizing lube, JPW & bee's wax mix. I'm running them unsized .463.
Worked the trigger over and should help my group. Going to try 405 HP if I can get the hp to cast right, otherwise going to take the hollow pnt plug off.
Hopefully get to try some of the ones i've bumped the charge up and used mag primers. IJ
.463 is a good size and should shoot very well. I have gone a little larger but decided to size down and my final size after patching is .461 and the load without tearing paper if I'm careful and they load and unload in to my chamber with no problems. The first PPB that I ever loaded I did not size and it was .465" and I loaded it in to my Sharps. The bullet was right in the center of the bull and I decided right there that PPB's were for me. 8) 8) ;D ;D The .461" I use in my Marlin and my Sharps 45-70's
I have not tried magnum primers but sure this would be fine as long as loads are worked up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a 5 shot group today a .6x1" with Lee 340 paperpatched ahead of a decent charge of Re7. Doggone I love those big holes when they start cutting each other. Launched some with IMR 4895 and 405 Rem. with the same powder. They didn't print as good as the cast pp. & Re7. I think that will be my cow killer this fall, drawed a good tag. Thanks for you help. Idahojoe

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Thank You! ;D 8) 8)

Isn't it amazing how well a paper patched bullet can shoot, and not only that but the barrel minus a little bit of powder is virtually spotless. A pass with a damp patch and a dry one and your clean and ready to go shooting again. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Don't overlook the 300 grain .45 Long Colt Lee pistol bullet mold too. It is .452 or .454, and works well with a double wrapped patch, no sizing needed. All those Lee .45-70 bullets seem to patch well and easy. I liked Re 7 and IMR 3031 on those. The 300 grain is also awesome if you want to do some light recoil loads, and they'll darned near cloverleaf if you do it right. A good lighter deer setup.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
mommicked,

I have used the molds for the 45 long Colt and it is an easy great way to make PPB's for the 45-70, But I sure like the heavy hitters. ;D I really need to settle on one bullet weight for my 45-70 and one type of paper, might be that this load of sewing patterns I got are the ticket. I have been in idle for a long time but looks like I'm getting back in to the swing of things. 8) 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts