Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a Rem 7400 in '06. Like to know if any of you have any experience with it.... Are there any powders that I need to know about, pro and con...... I currently load 50gr of Varget with a 165gr B-tip in rem brass. This load has been bringin home the venison for many years... But after this season (took one doe 10-17-04, could have been more if I was quicker) I plan to get a semi auto or maybe a 45-70. Cant make up my mind :? So what have you got to say.......

Sasquatch

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I have been using Varget and H4831 in a Remington autoloader for many years. I like the 165 grainer for deer too! I think you are fine with the 7400. I do use a small base sizer to kepp feeding problems to a minimum.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
buckeyeshooter~
Like to know what kind of groups you get at say 100 and 200 and possibly 300 yards.
Glad you mentioned about the small-base dies, cause thats what I bought years before I had the rifle. So I just use that to reload with. I really need to get a regular set of dies for my 700 BDL.
Varget has been powder of choice, I've loaded 40 rounds back in the summer of 00 and have taken about 15 deer and have 21 rounds left...

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
My loads average 1 1/2 to 2 inches at 100 yards, 50 grains of Varget with the 165 is a very good load for me also. This could be a bit misleading because I use a "red dot" scope on my 7400,it is a 30-06. My red dot has the smaller dot but still covers 3" at 100 yards. I use this rifle specifically for hunting deer or bear in very thick cover where I generally an shooting at game running. I favor 165 grain bullets and the 180's work well also. I have had a .308 chambering in a 742. It was a bit more accurate, but not so much that it made a big difference.
You might look at the Browning BAR also. See which one fits you better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have two Remington 742's. Both in 30-06. Both of my rifles shoot 1 to 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards with IMR 4350 and Hornady 165 grain BTSP bullets. They are both consistant shooters with the same load. I have fired 200 yard groups that average 2 to 3 inches. Have never shot at any 300 yard targets with either of these rifles, but the longest shot I've ever made on a deer was 337 yards as best we could measure it. I shot two deer that day. One was a little closer at about 285 yards or thereabouts. The bullets hit both deer right in the same area as if I had only been shooting at about 100 yards or less. I've seen some opinions lately that IMR 4350 should not be used in autoloading rifles, but I don't know the reasons why. I have used it in mine exclusively for 25 years or more and have never had any problems from it's use. I give my rifles a good cleaning once a year after season. The gas pistons have never been fouled up excessively and none of the working parts have ever been damaged. I've been using a few of my other rifles for the last couple of years but I think I'll break out one of these for a workout next season. I've fired over 500 rounds in a season of target shooting and hunting at times through these rifles with no powder related problems. You may get similar results in your 7400. These are fine rifles even though some few years back they seemed to have a reputation for being inaccurate and prone to jams or feeding problems. My dad also has a 742 that is accurate and jam free too.

By the way, I bought my second 742, which was in fine condition, for less than 100 dollars because the previous owner could not shoot it accurately, and it jammed all the time, and according to him, it wouldn't group 8 inches at 100 yards. I cleaned it. No problems with jamming now. It had so much guncase lint in the rear of the action that the bolt couldn't cycle fully. I fired it for the first time with my loads for my other rifle and decided that I didn't need to develop a load for it because it shot as good as my first 742. I shot 12 deer with it the first year I hunted with it. I had this one parkerized and put a dull finish on the stocks. My other one is shiny and as glossy as the day it was new. It's a 1980 or 81 model I think.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buckeyeshooter and .35 Marlin

Thanks for the replys.... This is going to help me out when I start my loading for the new season in '05

.35 Marlin~ what state do you live in that you can take 12 deer in a year??

Have a safe and fun Holidays

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buckeyeshooter and .35 Marlin

Thanks for the replys.... This is going to help me out when I start my loading for the new season in '05

.35 Marlin~ what state do you live in that you can take 12 deer in a year??

Have a safe and fun Holidays

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
You are most welcome! Let us know if we can be of further help! Good luck and happy shootin'!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I live in NC. Six deer limit here, but I also hunted in SC some and they had a large bag limit. 15 I think. I don't usually hunt SC but I had some buddies back then that hunted SC all the time and they invited me to visit their camp. I went and killed quite a few deer while I was there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts